inline 6 lower bearing cover removal

fmb64

Recruit
I'm looking for info on replacing the lower bearing seal on the powerhead and I'm already stuck on how to remove the cover. I have the 3 screws out and it won't budge..........Any suggestions? Thanks!

emckelvy

Commander
Re: inline 6 lower bearing cover removal

You should find (3) threaded holes in the lower bearing cap/seal carrier. Use an automotive harmonic balancer puller on these and it should come right out. A slide hammer and puller plate will also work, using the (3) threaded holes.<br /><br />Sometimes it helps to slack off on the (2) lowest crankcase-to-block mounting bolts.<br /><br />Pay special attention to the orientation and position of the (2) crankshaft seals before you drive them out for replacement; you'll want to install the new ones in the same position.<br /><br />Note: you may be tempted to pry on the 'ears' of the bearing cap, if you do that be VERY careful or you'll break them.<br /><br />Sometimes it does help to tap gently on one of the ears, sideways, to help break the bearing cap loose, and then it'll come out a bit easier.<br /><br />While you're in there, check the lower ball bearing for roughness and replace if bad. It's a generic, unshielded # 206, BCA or SKF are common brands and available at most auto parts stores. Way cheaper than the Mercury item and just as good. Pull the bearing off with a gear puller, and heat up the new bearing in a toaster oven then 'slap' it on the end of the shaft. Be sure to wear thick gloves!!!!<br /><br />If you find the sealing surface on the crankshaft is corroded, Mercury sells a "Speedi-Sleeve" repair kit which, when tapped on the end of the crank, will provide a fresh surface for the seals to ride upon.<br /><br />When you reinstall the bearing cap, be sure to put some all-purpose grease on the lips of the (2) seals inside, also renew the o-ring and put a small amount of grease there too. "Paint" a light coating of Permatex #3 Aviation-type gasket dressing on the machined face of the bearing cap where it 'butts' up against the block. This'll keep salt/sediment from getting into those machined surfaces.<br /><br /><br />HTH and G'luck........ed

OperativeK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: inline 6 lower bearing cover removal

There should be six large bolts to remove on the lower unit that connect the head. After that I used a screw driver some rubber stops and wood and wedged it up and picked it off myself. Was a little heavy.