Racor Fuel / Water Filter Question

boatingnyc

Cadet
I just installed a Racor fuel filter on my boat because I was having problems with water in the gas. I bought the model with the clear bowl at the bottom which is suppose to allow you to drain out water when you see it forming. I think my model number is Racor 320RRAC01. My question is that it seems that the plastic bowl is always full of gas? Is it suppose to be? I tried draining it out twice, but it seems just to be gas and not water? Is there something wrong with my filter? I doubled checked to make sure I connected the fuel lines right to the filter, input and output. Thanks for any help!

bobrock

Seaman
Re: Racor Fuel / Water Filter Question

those "filters" work by slowing the fuel flow and allowing the water to settle in the clear bowl .. there is a filter element in it ..seems to me that the "problem" has already passed thru the fuel system .. the filter should prevent the same occurence... hows it running now?? did ya clean out the carbs to get out any remaining water??

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Racor Fuel / Water Filter Question

The bowl is always full. If there's no water in the fuel, the bowl will have fuel only in it. If there is water, the water will collect in the bowl, and will settle to the bottom of the bowl.<br /><br />What you're seeing/doing is exactly how it should work. Periodically, drain a little from the bowl into a little jar. The water will come out first. If you don't see water within the first ounce or two, you can quit draining because there's no water in the bowl. IF you get water and/or water mixed up with fuel, keep draining until you get pure fuel. Then you've removed all the water.<br /><br />I check almost every time I run the boat. Generally get a tiny bit of water - I have built in aluminum tanks and it's hard to totally prevent condensation ... but that's why I have the filter and check it regularly.