2000 175 HP Merc EFI low Compression

Coork

Cadet
Checked compression today on 2000 Merc EFI after engine running rough over the weekend. Compression 135 PSI on 5 cylinders +\- 5. Compression on 6th cylinder only 65 PSI. Spark plug has metal residue on it. Checked fuel injector for that cylinder and it was dead. Engine ran lean. My question is can I rebuild one cylinder or does entire engine require tear down? I know that the best way to go is to rebuild entire engine, but that is not a viable option at this time due to finances, I plan on buying a smaller boat with smaller engine next year (4 stroke for trolling) and do not want to sink a ton of money into this one. Does any one have a guessimate on labor hours for the job or cost? I can pull powerhead and strip parts off of engine to reduce cost. I have done rebuilds on car engines but, I believe that an outboard rebuild is beyond my capabilities.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 175 HP Merc EFI low Compression

Boring just 1 cylinder is not a problem, although you will still need to tear it all down, but its not a hard job and simpler than a car engine.

bobrock

Seaman

yea do your research and the right tools and you will do a fine job .. if it was me ,,, i would try to bring the cylinder back to OEM specs and not go oversive on that one cylinder... alas tho you can go oversize on one piston by .020 i think ..to resleeve it prolly 250-400 bucks piston kit 150 bucks ...the satisfaction when you first start it .......PRICELESS !<br />GOOD LUCK ,,, let us know how its going .. L8R

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A good service manual is a must for a rebuild. A factory one is even better.