trim/tilt problems 2002 Mercury 125 hp ELPTO saltwater

natecollins

Seaman Apprentice
I am having trouble with the trim/tilt unit for a 2002 Mercury 125 hp ELPTO saltwater edition motor I bought recently. The motor is running. When I have the motor and pump attached without the cylinder, it appears to pump in both directions (I see oil coming out of the ports when pushing the button up and down). When the whole system is attached including the cylinder, the cylinder rises and lowers slowly in both directions, but about the same speed in both directions. When I take off the cylinder and blow compressed air into the ports it moves up and down good. I attached it back up to the motor. The motor will not rise when pushing the up button, but it is definitely easier to lift it when I am giving some assistance by hand. Please help. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Nate

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: trim/tilt problems 2002 Mercury 125 hp ELPTO saltwater

Define 'slowly'. They are a trim unit and not designed to move 'quickly'.<br /><br />Chris.......

natecollins

Seaman Apprentice
Re: trim/tilt problems 2002 Mercury 125 hp ELPTO saltwater

When there is no weight on the cylinder it moves the full length of the cylinder shaft in about 20 seconds. With the weight of the engine on the cylinder, it does not move at all.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Nate