Mercury 25 HP Timing Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdgary

Seaman
Merc 25 HP #6185448 -- Have document on timing that says: First (1)(full throttle, motor in test tank), adjust spark advance linkage to align 3 dots (on flywheel)with reference mark. Second (2) (full throttle, motor in test tank), rotate throttle cam to align cam mark with throttle roller. Then lengthen or shorten throttle linkage to align 2 dots with reference. [Comment: real scary doing this in my yard.] Question 1: Can I practice this with prop off (no load) using a flush, and how close might I come. Question 2: Won't the throttle cam and throttle linkage effect (1) at first trying to get 3 dots for spark advance? [Comment: the 3 dots are way to the left, adjustment in the spark advance linkage is as far as it can go - none left.]<br /><br />Help?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 25 HP Timing Procedure

It must be done in a test tank or on a boat tied up or less the engine will over rev. and read over a throttle cam adjustment again thats not what it says I my manuals

Shile

Cadet
Re: Mercury 25 HP Timing Procedure

Well...I need to do timing on my M25xd...but how can I see 3 dots?When motor runs flywheel is also rotating..

kennyrmarshall

Recruit
I have a 1990 mercury 25hp 2stroke when I got it the guy said the linkages were out of adjustment.i cant get it to start because of this.it has spark and fuel question is how do I get linkages correct

MOD EDIT: please review the forum rules - old threads and hijacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.