Mariner fuel problem...fuel pump?

LubeDude

Admiral
Actually by what you are telling us, you need to rebuild the fuel pump. As to the filter, it should at least be half way full. I dont know why, but they are never full after you pump them full when the engine has run a while. One of those mysteries that I havnt been able to figure out.

physiksgeek

Cadet
Mariner fuel problem...fuel pump?

Have a 90's model, oil-injected, 60hp Mariner(0B538238), been sitting in dads garage for 2yrs, worked when parked. Aquired it 3wks ago as a graduation gift. <br /> It has, since I got it a problem where it starves for fuel to the point that it will die. If you catch it before it dies and squeeze the bulb you can save it. The bulb is soft and will harden as you pump it. <br /> Initially suspected a leak in the lines. Replaced hoses from tank to oil injection pump, oil injection pump to motor. New bulb, some suspect zip ties replaced also. Dumped and refilled oil tank. Believe fuel tank is o.k.? Have a new one that I am going to hook up once I obtain fittings. <br /> Noticed yesterday while running it in yard that the filter between the fuel pump and the carbs would fill when the bulb was manually squeezed, but then as the motor runs, the fuel is then drained(or sucked) from the filter to the point where either the motor dies or it refills to about a third of the filters volume when full. When this happens, the filter is visually empty and the motor is starting to run poorly, the filter suddenly fills to about a third of its capacity. It has the same effect as if I manually squeezed the bulb. The motor picks up if it refills in times, otherwise it dies. I did see sediment in the filter, replaced filter. <br /> No change noticed in anything attempted so far. Beginning to wonder about the fuel pump? Shouldn't that particular filter stay full once the line is primed and the engine is running? Is there a pressure I should expect to see out of the pump? Is their a way to test it?<br /> Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated....

physiksgeek

Cadet
Re: Mariner fuel problem...fuel pump?

Thanks for the response LubeDude. Put a diaphragm kit in today. Suspect one of the check valves was not seated properly, found it loose inside. <br /> After re-install, it did appear to recover better when the demand was increased. Will post results when I get it to the river and run it.<br /><br />Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. ~A. Einstein

physiksgeek

Cadet
Re: Mariner fuel problem...fuel pump?

Made it to the river. Still have issues. Cranks great, runs at low rpm's, idles well, will not get above approx 10 mph with the throttle wide open. Used entire 6.6 gal tank of gas in about 6-8 miles, actually ran out of gas. Made this same trip the first time I took the boat out and used 3.5 gallons round trip(12-16 miles). In the beginning the motor would bog and die when you tried to go full throttle, but it did clear up after about twenty minutes of low rpm running and climbed to a top speed approaching 40 mph or a little more. Nothing like this happened this time though obviously getting plenty of fuel now, believe the fuel pump rebuild helped, but did not fix <br />problem(s)....<br /> Carbs next???? Could it be running with a dead cylinder.