• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercury Black max oil injection

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury Black max oil injection

My oil injection failure warning horn went off again today. I switched right to a spare premix gas container and idled bake to the dock. Does anyone know where I can get a oil pump cover kit so I can just run pre-mix from now on. I checked the oil pump nylon adapter and steel driven gear and they looked good. The engine puffed a good exhaust stream of blue exhaust smoke at the dock, but the blue stream was not there when I turned it off from the alarm today. And how do I turn off the oil alarm by the boat key. Can I just cut the 2 wires going to it and solder them together? And what about the oil pump sensor right above the oil pump that detects when the pump is not turning, how do I disable that sensor. I have no faith in the oil injection system and want to remove it and forget it. This engine is driven at mostly cruising speeds and the extra smoke from premix is no big deal. Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Mercury Black max oil injection

Joe, just remove the pump and pull the pump drive shaft then reinstall the pump--Bob

Comment

Laddies, my manual shows that the end of metal driven shaft holds a bushing in place by the drive gear. If I just take out the metal driven gear, isn't there a chance that this bushing will fall out and do internal damage while the engine in running? And how do I disable the oil pump motion sensor and low oil sensor, while still leaving the overheat sensor operational? Thanks for the comments, Joe.

Comment

Mercury sells a kit that contains a shaft to hold the bushing in place. I removed mine when I had the crancase open during rebuild. The bushing wasn't real easy to get out so leaving it in place may not be a problem but why take the chance?Can't answer your question about overheat sensor. I don't think mine works but I have a temp gauge.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that there are many reples amd post about how people have removed the oil injection system but no one seems to know how to disconnect the alarms. Any comments would be appreciated. Joe

Comment

Amen brother...I'm looking for the same advice...I'll keep an eye on your posting....

Comment

I can tell you this my brothers my oil warning module has been burnt out for 2 years no beeping beeps for me maybe it can be disconnected for you too..

Comment

The alarm doesn't go off when I first start it up and idle the engine. But if I increase the RPM's sharply, it starts to beep, beep, beep continously. Today I unplugged all the wires coming from the low oil sensor and the oil pump motion sensor that go to the oil injection module on the port side of the engine and the beeping did not stop. I am baffled. The oil injection module has a green wire that goes to the switchbox. Could a faulty switchbox cause the oil alarm to go off? Please help, Joe.

Comment

go to themarinedoctor.com if no techs here chime in, he's a Merc tech that offers free advice, guys sharp

Comment

Thanks Scali!

Comment

Originally posted by verojoe27 View Post
                      Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that there are many reples amd post about how people have removed the oil injection system but no one seems to know how to disconnect the alarms. Any comments would be appreciated. Joe
                      Hi Joe,

It has been years since this post but would you believe that I am also looking for the answer to this question and have searched many forums and have not been able to find an answer. I still want the over heat alarm to work. I have an idea but am reluctant to try it for fear that I will damage the alarm and have no over heat alarm. It may be possible to disconnect the green wire from the alarm module to the switch box as I believe that this wire provides the pulse that the alarm module compares with the pulse from the pump to detect any slippage or failure of the pump drive.

Thanks Harry

Comment

I just bought a 135 HP Max and the pump also has the same problem and I have it on a stand not the boat yet, what I did was remove not the green wire but the other wire it went to a small plastic block next to the switch box, not the switch box its self and the beeping stoped the wire came from the black box on the port side of the engine right next to the oil pump, Oh I have a 1990 135 HP Black max, and the low oil sensor also plugs into this box, I think its the main wire the supplys the horn for the low oil & motion sensor, as far as the heat sensor I dont know, I am also putting in a temp gauge & a water pressure gauge while I at it.

Comment

Originally posted by circle hook View Post
                          I just bought a 135 HP Max and the pump also has the same problem and I have it on a stand not the boat yet, what I did was remove not the green wire but the other wire it went to a small plastic block next to the switch box, not the switch box its self and the beeping stoped the wire came from the black box on the port side of the engine right next to the oil pump, Oh I have a 1990 135 HP Black max, and the low oil sensor also plugs into this box, I think its the main wire the supplys the horn for the low oil & motion sensor, as far as the heat sensor I dont know, I am also putting in a temp gauge & a water pressure gauge while I at it.
                          I think you disconnected the purple wire witch is the 12VDC power for the alarm module. This will stop the alarm but will also mean no over heat alarm.

Please note the oil alarm is a continual beep beep beep and the over heat alarm is a never ending BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Disconnecting the brown wire will stop the over heat alarm from sounding.

Comment

Gentlemen,
                            There's about a dozen times I've posted the oil alert removal procedure on this forum. Use search and go find it.
                            The ignition module spark signal, usually for cylinder 2, is one input for the oil alert. It can set off the alarm.
                            To remove the alarm, just remove it. Leave the temp sensor wiring in place. In other words, remove the wire from the oil alert module from the terminal strip and put the screw and the other 2 wires back.
                            The sevice manual covers the oil alert system thoroughly and systematically.

hope it helps
                            John

Comment

I have searched for the last 2 days,

So what you are saying is to disconnect the green wire from the switch box, the 2 wires to the rotational sensor and the 1 wire from the oil tank cap and the oil alarm will stop without disabling the over heat alarm.

Comment

Working...
                              X