Mercury Black max oil injection

verojoe27

Seaman Apprentice
My oil injection failure warning horn went off again today. I switched right to a spare premix gas container and idled bake to the dock. Does anyone know where I can get a oil pump cover kit so I can just run pre-mix from now on. I checked the oil pump nylon adapter and steel driven gear and they looked good. The engine puffed a good exhaust stream of blue exhaust smoke at the dock, but the blue stream was not there when I turned it off from the alarm today. And how do I turn off the oil alarm by the boat key. Can I just cut the 2 wires going to it and solder them together? And what about the oil pump sensor right above the oil pump that detects when the pump is not turning, how do I disable that sensor. I have no faith in the oil injection system and want to remove it and forget it. This engine is driven at mostly cruising speeds and the extra smoke from premix is no big deal. Any comments would be appreciated.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury Black max oil injection

Joe, just remove the pump and pull the pump drive shaft then reinstall the pump--Bob

verojoe27

Seaman Apprentice

Laddies, my manual shows that the end of metal driven shaft holds a bushing in place by the drive gear. If I just take out the metal driven gear, isn't there a chance that this bushing will fall out and do internal damage while the engine in running? And how do I disable the oil pump motion sensor and low oil sensor, while still leaving the overheat sensor operational? Thanks for the comments, Joe.

Boston Habba

Seaman

Mercury sells a kit that contains a shaft to hold the bushing in place. I removed mine when I had the crancase open during rebuild. The bushing wasn't real easy to get out so leaving it in place may not be a problem but why take the chance?<br /><br />Can't answer your question about overheat sensor. I don't think mine works but I have a temp gauge.

verojoe27

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that there are many reples amd post about how people have removed the oil injection system but no one seems to know how to disconnect the alarms. Any comments would be appreciated. Joe

tarponator

Cadet

Amen brother...I'm looking for the same advice...I'll keep an eye on your posting....

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can tell you this my brothers my oil warning module has been burnt out for 2 years no beeping beeps for me maybe it can be disconnected for you too..

verojoe27

Seaman Apprentice

The alarm doesn't go off when I first start it up and idle the engine. But if I increase the RPM's sharply, it starts to beep, beep, beep continously. Today I unplugged all the wires coming from the low oil sensor and the oil pump motion sensor that go to the oil injection module on the port side of the engine and the beeping did not stop. I am baffled. The oil injection module has a green wire that goes to the switchbox. Could a faulty switchbox cause the oil alarm to go off? Please help, Joe.

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

go to themarinedoctor.com if no techs here chime in, he's a Merc tech that offers free advice, guys sharp

harry styles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that there are many reples amd post about how people have removed the oil injection system but no one seems to know how to disconnect the alarms. Any comments would be appreciated. Joe

Hi Joe,

It has been years since this post but would you believe that I am also looking for the answer to this question and have searched many forums and have not been able to find an answer. I still want the over heat alarm to work. I have an idea but am reluctant to try it for fear that I will damage the alarm and have no over heat alarm. It may be possible to disconnect the green wire from the alarm module to the switch box as I believe that this wire provides the pulse that the alarm module compares with the pulse from the pump to detect any slippage or failure of the pump drive.

Thanks Harry

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a 135 HP Max and the pump also has the same problem and I have it on a stand not the boat yet, what I did was remove not the green wire but the other wire it went to a small plastic block next to the switch box, not the switch box its self and the beeping stoped the wire came from the black box on the port side of the engine right next to the oil pump, Oh I have a 1990 135 HP Black max, and the low oil sensor also plugs into this box, I think its the main wire the supplys the horn for the low oil & motion sensor, as far as the heat sensor I dont know, I am also putting in a temp gauge & a water pressure gauge while I at it.

harry styles

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a 135 HP Max and the pump also has the same problem and I have it on a stand not the boat yet, what I did was remove not the green wire but the other wire it went to a small plastic block next to the switch box, not the switch box its self and the beeping stoped the wire came from the black box on the port side of the engine right next to the oil pump, Oh I have a 1990 135 HP Black max, and the low oil sensor also plugs into this box, I think its the main wire the supplys the horn for the low oil & motion sensor, as far as the heat sensor I dont know, I am also putting in a temp gauge & a water pressure gauge while I at it.
I think you disconnected the purple wire witch is the 12VDC power for the alarm module. This will stop the alarm but will also mean no over heat alarm.

Please note the oil alarm is a continual beep beep beep and the over heat alarm is a never ending BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Disconnecting the brown wire will stop the over heat alarm from sounding.

j_martin

Admiral

Gentlemen,
There's about a dozen times I've posted the oil alert removal procedure on this forum. Use search and go find it.
The ignition module spark signal, usually for cylinder 2, is one input for the oil alert. It can set off the alarm.
To remove the alarm, just remove it. Leave the temp sensor wiring in place. In other words, remove the wire from the oil alert module from the terminal strip and put the screw and the other 2 wires back.
The sevice manual covers the oil alert system thoroughly and systematically.

hope it helps
John

harry styles

Seaman Apprentice

I have searched for the last 2 days,

So what you are saying is to disconnect the green wire from the switch box, the 2 wires to the rotational sensor and the 1 wire from the oil tank cap and the oil alarm will stop without disabling the over heat alarm.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The overheat is not even tied into module,the wire that activates horn terminates under the same screw as overheat sensor. Remove the module and all wires,remove rotational sensor,tie back oil tank sender wires,remove pump and discard driveshaft and bushing and reinstall oil pump(for use until you get following parts), order part # 43453 block off shaft and 25-32509 o-ring and reuse your pump mounting screws(you may have to clip the long one),remove oil lines from onboard tank and block off pressure port on crankcase with vaccum cap and tie..mix gas/oil at proper ratio...