1962 Mercury 100 HP Outboard

Julian007

Recruit
I have recently purchased a 1962 Mercury 100Hp. The armature has snapped off the top op the Starter Motor and I am desperately seeking a new one.<br />Can anyone advise how I can get hold of one??<br />The motor is in running order.. (timing a bit out) but apart from that all is good.<br /><br />I hear this motor is the fist built to 100hp specs? Is it a sought after peice of equipment?<br />Thanks!!

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: 1962 Mercury 100 HP Outboard

There are used starter motors for the Merc 1000 out there. I think some of the Merc 800's and 1100's might share it. Try asking all the Ebay parts guys if the have one in the back. Starters don't sell well enough to offset all the listing fees. <br /><br />-W (did you check to see if new ones are available? Sometimes you get surprised.)

Julian007

Recruit

Many Thanks.. I will get onto ebay. <br />I have looked around for new ones but as the starter is a alternator also it may be difficult to get one the right size. CHeers

erniex

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Didn't realize the starter was also the alternator on that model????

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

The starter cannot be the alternator but the starter can be the generator. The difference? An alternator produces AC voltage which is rectifed to DC. A generator outputs DC voltage. The starter/generator output voltage will always be correct. The difference will be current output. If the starter will mount in the alloted space, it will probably work fine. The current output is determined by the size of the wire and the number of turns in the coils. The physical size limits how much variation there can be.

Clams Canino

Commander

No the starter of the Merc 1000 is *not* the alternator (or generator). Separate componant. Alternator is under the flywheel.<br /><br />-W