2001 Mercury Outboard 225 EFI Saltwater Series excessive smoke

Mark Swansen

Recruit
I have a 2001 225 Mercury Saltwater Series that seems to smoke way too much especially when it is cold. This outboard only has about 45 hours on it. Is this normal or is there an adjustment that can be made to reduce the amount of smoke?

mistylady

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2001 Mercury Outboard 225 EFI Saltwater Series excessive smoke

Originally posted by 21 Laguna:<br /> I have a 2001 225 Mercury Saltwater Series that seems to smoke way too much especially when it is cold. This outboard only has about 45 hours on it. Is this normal or is there an adjustment that can be made to reduce the amount of smoke?
i have a 2001 200efi, when the engineis cold it will smoke a little until it warms up. are you using merc oil? i do have a question since we have the same motor. do you have a starting problem in cold weather? i have to advance my throttle when its cold to get the motor to start.<br /><br /> mistylady

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Merc Troubles

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you may want to have an oil consumption test done, that motor as you call it, does like to smoke a bit especially if it has been sitting awhile, however, once warmed up and blown out, it should go away and exhaust the normal two stroke smoke, but not so much as to ward the skitos away...a good dealer should be able to do the consumption test for about 50 - 75 bucks and tell you what the smoke is all about,.good luck