Out of water test for a Mercury 500

n12tree

Recruit
Hi there, i am very new to this game, and have just brought a old old speed boat to restore. I was just wondering if there is a way of attaching a hose pipe to the engine to test and if it fires up or not? Its a Mercury 500 outboard, sorry thats all i know! Hence being new to this game!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Out of water test for a Mercury 500

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />There are things called Flushettes (commonly called Muffs) that attach to a garden hose and slip onto the gearcase and cover the water intakes. You can buy them just about anyplace you can get boat stuff.<br /><br />When was the motor run last? Is it in running condition according to the seller? There are things I automatically do on a used outboard. Rebuild the water pump, replace the sparkplugs, and change the gearlube. It would also be a real good idea to rebuild the fuel pump on that motor. Parts for all that should be in the $50 ballpark, maybe a bit more. Labor to do all that would be quite a bit more.

n12tree

Recruit

Thanks very much, you was very helpful! Its nice to see people want to help us first timers out, once again thanks!

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Remember as well, put the muffs on from the leading edge of the unit. Nasty things happen when they are put on the other way and someone decides to check the gears and whether they shift or not. Wasn't me, but an apprentice where i worked for the summer. was funny to watch though:D

Clams Canino

Commander

Also....... it's a good idea to clean the carbs if it's been sitting a long time. Those powerheads are almost bulletproof, if properly cared for. I've seen some 50 years old still going strong.<br /><br />-W

dsrchamp04

Petty Officer 3rd Class

one more important thing...make sure it is peeing good from the water outlet on the side of the motor near the powerhead when you get it fired up.