Shift linkage disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

olecarman

Recruit
:confused: 1984 Mercury 25XD. Trying to remove lower unit. Seloc manual says to "remove the shift lever coupler located in the bottom cowling behind the carburetor". I have looked under, on top of, sideways, and do not see this coupler. If it is under the carburetor, how in the name of common sense do you get to it?? Or am I looking in the wrong place. My engine parts catalog does not even show this coupler. Can anyone help me on this. It is the older style unit, it does NOT have the rubber plug on the side to disconnect the linkage. I am just confused as to how to disconnect the shifter rod so I can pull off the lower unit. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, but if it is under the carburetor in the center of the cowling, don't know how you would even get to it. Hire a **** ant with a set of needle nose pliers I guess!!!!<br />Thanks for any help!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Shift linkage disconnect

Yours is an early version of that motor. Later ones had a snap-in pin at the pivot which is on the tiller handle side of the carb just below it. Yours might not have that swing-out clip. I don't recall what the hardwarwe is, but it should be in the same place. Move the shift around and follow the linkages that move. The shift rod to the gearcase comes up just in front of the steering tube and attaches right below and behind the carb on the port side.

derekv

Cadet

I am Looking to do the same thing to my 76 merc 650 And the disconnect on it lookes like a round coller with a set screw in the side that is directly inline with the steering tube. It is a small set screw and is fairley hard to get to, but with the cowling off you should be able to move the shift linkage and see the coller move up and down.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

elto, Your lowerunit should disconnect without doing anything but removing all the nuts. The shiftshaft(male) is a slipfit into a splined female coupler. it does not have a setscrew holding it in.

olecarman

Recruit

So I can take the cowling off!??!! Wasn't sure how that came off, but it looks like 4 screws maybe. That would sure make it easier to get to the shift linkage collar for sure. I will try to get the cowling off and go from there. Thanks for the replies! Should have looked closer I guess.<br />olecarman

Status
Not open for further replies.