speed indicator

tonydl86

Seaman Apprentice
speed indicator is not working on my 1994merc. 125 HP 4 cyl. ser #og039265 mod# 1125412pd.<br />the rubber tube going from the indicator to the lower unit is clear, no clogg. but when i connect an air hose to the lower unit where the rubber tube connects there is no air folw. my question is where exactly is the water intake. i seam to remember a small hole on that leading edge but all that i can see on the edge now is a small dent. i hate to do any fileing on it without being sure. thanks for your help.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: speed indicator

There's a tiny hole on the leading edge of the gearcase. They clog easily. Sometimes wood from a stick gets in there and corks it good. Then you might need a tiny drillbit to get it out. But if all you see is a dent, it must've taken a direct hit in the wrong place. Or maybe transom saver damage.

tonydl86

Seaman Apprentice

well that dent is right on the leading edge, if i remember correctly its up about 8 or 10 inches from the bottom of the case. if that is my intake what would be the best approach to fixing it, fileing it down slightly until the hole is visible or the other option wich would be drillig althuogh the idea scares me. the dent it self is a very small dent.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Can you post a picture of the dented area? Much easier to give advice....picture=1000 words they say.

tonydl86

Seaman Apprentice

yea I can do that, i'll take a picture of it this weekend. by the way the size of the dent is about 1/4 of an inch round and about 1/16 deep. if the water intake is on that leading edge thats where its at because aside from that dent the edge is perfect. I'll get that picture anyway. thanks

tonydl86

Seaman Apprentice

iv'e taken a picture of my motors' lower unit but can someone please tell me how to add it to this message. thanks