2001 125 HP Mercury Outboard

mary ann

Recruit
I have a 2001 mercury 125Hp Outboard motor only 10 hours use on it. it runs rough at low speeds. Misses some. Probably has some varnish in carb. due to lack of use. Is there any way to clean it without disassembly? Such as cleaner or stablizer in fuel? Change Spark plugs? Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2001 125 HP Mercury Outboard

I think you have one of the Mercs that cuts off a cylinder or two at idle, then brings it on when you accellerate, Mary Ann.<br /><br />If that is true you are experiencing normal or near-normal operation.<br /><br />If that is not true you probably do have some gunk in your carbs.<br /><br />After you have them removed and overhauled, always add Stabil or a similar product to your gas when you anticipate long layups. Do this before your last run, not after.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

mmiller

Recruit

Your 125 will cut 2 of the cylinders off at low rpms. This is normal. Mine occurs around 1600-2000 rpms. It's annoying but I've gotten used to it.

pratt102

Recruit

How did you resolve 2 cylinders issue?

I had the same problem when I bought it (2001, 125hp elpto) new in 2003. Ultimately the Mercury factory had to help the local mechanics fix the problem as a warrenty repair. I did not pay much attention then but understood it to be a defective electrical issue. Now I have the same problem.

Recently I called mercury, their records indicate: ignition plate harness, trigger, engine wire harness and solenoid. I have no clue which was the fix, but would appreciate feedback on your fix as it may help me diagnose my issues.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks
James

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Pratt.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Did you notice that this thread is 4 years old?