Temperature Sensor, 1990 60hp Mercury

olyerickson

Cadet
I suspect that this is where I discover yet again that what I'm looking for is another add-in (like the trim sender...)<br /><br />I'm not finding the wire for the temperature sensor on my 1990 60hp Mercury, which I suspect is because there is none. I see "temperature switch" but not a *sensor* wire (that I can hook to my gauge). What should I be looking for? <br /><br />Thanks!

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Temperature Sensor, 1990 60hp Mercury

You probably only have the overheat switch... It should be installed underneath the top cylinder plug.... Held in place with a bracket and two bolts.. Either that or the temp sender will be located in the same place...<br /><br />Most likely you only have an overheat (temperature switch) on the motor now...<br /><br />There are other options, but let us know...

olyerickson

Cadet

Yup, it is pretty-much as you describe: there is a tan wire coming from some kind of inset part, probably the temp switch, right next to the top plug. The wire goes around to the right, to a plastic part (looks like a one-contact terminal block), where it meets up with the tan (?) from the main part of the harness. <br /><br />So where would an add-in sensor go? I know what it will attach to! :) <br /><br />John

KCLOST

Commander

Your options are simple and complicated... Depending on what you want to measure....<br />If you want to measure metal head temps, you're going to have to find a spot that will allow you to insert the sensor to a point that it will make contact with the head.... That's not easy, and I wouldn't go that route...<br /><br />If you want to measure water temps, you can access the water lines past the t-stat... Or, even better, look for a plug at the top of the block (behind the flywheel). You can remove that plug and with the proper fitting, the sensor can be installed there... One wire from the sensor will run directly to the guage...<br /><br />Either way, you're gonna need a sensor for the guage you have...

olyerickson

Cadet

So, Mercury cylinder head temp senders cost around $40 (Merc part #97465), where as e.g. Faria senders for my gauge cost around $10 (Faria part #90405).<br /><br />What's the difference? And I don't mean "$30..." :) <br /><br />Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

It's marine certified. You're insurance won't get all bitter an' twisted and you won't end up in court if something goes wrong.<br /><br />Chris.........<br /><br />And I know they look the same on the outside.

olyerickson

Cadet

I don't understand --- my Faria instruments are marine instruments...

olyerickson

Cadet

By the way, the following document from Teleflex has some great detail about installing water temp senders, for a variety of OBs:<br /><br />"OUTBOARD WATER TEMPERATURE GAUGE INSTRUCTIONS,"<br /> http://www.tflx.com/PDF/99625.pdf <br /><br />John