Shift linkage for 25hp Mercury

dleve

Cadet
25 hp Mercury 2001 sn#ot179875/model 1025201yd<br /><br />My problem is I believe one of adjustment. I had my drive shaft replaced last year. Afterward, I used the boat once and it ran great. The next time on the water I could not get reverse gear. It was like it did'nt exist, as if the tiller just stopped at neutral. while on the trailer, If I put a 1/2 in. wrench on the side shift shaft the motor will reluctantly go into reverse and I can then run through the gears using the tiller, but once the engine is started and shut down, reverse is again 'gone'. I am beginning to have problems tilting the motor up and have found that the reverse lock link rod,that rides the shift shaft,is bowed out. I have continued to use the boat telling myself that reverse really is a convenience rather than a necessity. Aside from this reverse problem everything is working fine.<br />Anything you great people can tell me will be appreciated.<br /><br />thanks y'all, <br />Yellowhusky

Boiler_Pappy

Recruit
Re: Shift linkage for 25hp Mercury

I was just wondering if you discovered the problem with your shift linkage. I ran into a similar problem and cannot get the motor into reverse.