Mercury throttle cable adjustment

Rogerfire

Cadet
Hello all. I have an 1985 35 hp mercury outboard with mercontrols. The control has an outside lever for the throttle/shift and an inside lever for idle/throttle control.<br />My problem is that the throttle shift lever goes well beyond the 90 degree position to get to full throttle. That is to say that it is pointing slightly downward at full throttle and not at 90 degrees. Is this ok, or is there an adjustment to made back at the motor were the cables attach to the motor?<br />Thanks in advance, Roger

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercury throttle cable adjustment

Roger,<br /><br />Sounds about normal to me. The throttle handle can go to about 140 degress (from vertical) if no cable is attached.<br /><br />Chris..........

Benji0301

Recruit

Hi

I have a similar problem with my 35HP Mercury. I have just reconnected the control cables to the control unit (a 3000 unit I think?) and the gear change cable moves forward and back fine but the throttle cable only seems to have any travel when in forward gear or when using the fast idle/throttle up button. Is this a safety feature to stop you going to har astern or have I refitted the cables incorrectly?

Benji

plumcass

Recruit

i installed a 1998 40 hp merc tracker on my 13' whaler.
i need a diagram or photo on how to hook up the gear and accelerator cables (specifically where to set the cable barrels), as well as the color code on wiring the loose wires coming from the wire harness. it's electric start and tilt and trim.
I would appreciate any help.