• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

150 OptiMax Prop ??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 OptiMax Prop ??

Hello all, I am currently running an 2004150hp Optimax on my 1850 SportFish(Crestliner).It has a 19 degree aluminum prop. I am gettingaround mid 40mph with a 5200rpm wide open.There is quite a bit of cavitation with this set-up when doing any turns. I end up having tothrottle back and reduce the turn. This is veryfrustrating when one is trying to do any kindof tubing. The Mercury site suggests a 21degree set-up, but my dealer is saying itdoesn't work?? Another suggestion was that myaluminum prop is flexing under load in the turnsand to go to a stainless prop. What are therest of the OptiMax people using?? My boatis 18.5 feet and approx 2300 lbs. Is a 17degree to small?? I would also think that5200 rpms w.o.t is a little low as well sincethe OptiMax is listed as 5250-5750 max rpms??

Re: 150 OptiMax Prop ??

You might try an Alpha 4-blade aluminum 18" if you boat in shallow waters. Otherwise stainless props with 4 or 5 blades can actually run with some of the prop out of water and stay connected to the water in more adverse conditions or tight cornering. I mention the Alpha prop because the gearcase suffers less if you hit bottom if you're using an aluminum or even a plastic prop.
    Hey, Have you seen? They make Really Cool life preservers nowadays.
    So "Looking Dorky" is no longer an excuse for not wearing one.

Comment

Hey Tumble weed,Sounds like we're in the same boat! Pardon the pun.I've got a 2001 150hp opti on a 19.5 Fisher. Your setup is fairly close to mine. I'm 19.5 ft and about 2400lbs. I also get around 43mph GPS at around 5200rpm wot. Mine came with a 21pitch aluminum prop and it was a dog. 4800rpm was about all I could do but with a little better top end speed.I have played with a bunch of different 19p props with very little success. I too was told to try a 17P to see what happens. I actually ended up buying a 19p tempest plus this year as I thought it performed pretty good last year when tested but after putting the new one on this year it isn't performing the same. I tried a laser 2 and it is much better and gets those rpm's up to about 5400.The only other option is to try raising the motor up one hole to see if there is any improvement. I still haven't done that yet as I want to try a few 17P props to see what it does for performance.I won't be able to test anymoe props for about another 2 weeks but I can keep you posted if you like.

Comment

I am bringing it back in to the dealertomorrow morning. Will post back with anyinput to the situation...

Comment

Is your motor mounted at the right height, and are you lowering the trim as you corner??And you are right, you want it to run at the upper end of the RPM range at WOT. I would try a 17 pitch and see what that does. The dealer should swap it out for free as it should have been set up right to begin with. Good luck.

Comment

Good question about the height. There is room todrop the motor down one notch?? The problemin the corners is felt at a fully loweredtrim. In looking at some other OptiMax motoredboats, I haven't seen ANY 17 degree set-ups out there. I had a closed throttle strike to the 19degree prop I had, so I am going to get to thebottom of the issue before replacing it withanother 19 degree aluminum again.

Comment

Working...
            X