Spark Plug Gap on Mercury

csjohnson33

Recruit
Could someone please tell me what the correct spark plug gap is for a 1998 Mercury 225 EFI. My plugs are champion QL77CC. Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spark Plug Gap on Mercury

The recommended plug is a NGK BR8HS Gapped at .035. I don't have the cross reference in front of me now, so I cannot recommend the QL77CC Champions as a replacement. Gap would or should be the same, though.<br /><br />EDIT: I did find the cross reference and it calls for a BZ7HS-10 as the equilvilant for the QL77CC Champion. So the QL77cc does not match as the proper plug for your motor..

csjohnson33

Recruit

Thank you. I have been running these champion plugs in my merc since the powerhead has been overhauled . They were recomended by my mechanic. He has since moved out of state so I have to change the plugs myself because I havnt found another mechanic I like yet. And again thanks for your time.

csjohnson33

Recruit

So should not be running these plugs in my engine? The champion?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I would run the plug that is called for. Mercs almost always call for NGK plugs, as they perform better with them. I am somewhat suprised that the mechanic advised champion plugs for your motor. If it was mine, I'd run the NGK's that were mentioned above as the correct ones...

csjohnson33

Recruit

Thanks I will buy the NGK plugs for it. The mechanic told me that the champion plugs worked vry well with that engine. I guess its hard to find a decent mechanic. The bad part is Im out the money I spent on the plugs I purchased. Do you know what type engine the Champion plugs fit so I can find someone that might use them. I have 18 of them. I bought them on a closeout for half price.

csjohnson33

Recruit

Neverind thanks for your help I will find someone that can use these plugs on my own. I appreciate your help.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Just so you know, most Johnson/evinrudes use Champions.

stvtunlvzn

Recruit

Mercs Came with Champions several years ago. Plugs are personal preferance just get the heat range right!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The cross for Champion plugs for your motor is QL78C. I would assume the QL77CC(Double Copper Core) plug is a little cooler plug than the QL78C and may be the reason your Mech. suggested them. If it runs well with them, have at it...<br /><br /> web page