70hp mercury crankshaft bearing removal

rperre

Cadet
Hey, <br /><br />I'm rebuilding this 1978 70hp mercury and got everything going well, except for one thing, I can't get the top timing gear loose to replace the top bearing, and yes the top bearing is shot so I do need to replace it!<br /><br />Anybody got a tip on how to get this gear off the crankshaft, I put a flywheel puller on there and it didn't really get it, I think it's just rusted too much! What can I do?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Richard

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70hp mercury crankshaft bearing removal

I don't know your particular motor, but have you considered applying some heat? Sometimes the expansion and contraction will break a part free, and your puller can do its job. Since you are replacing the bearing anyway, try waving a torch at it for a bit.<br /><br />No guarantees though...

rperre

Cadet

got it after soaking it in some "break loose" it was just rusted a little, it's a 1978 you know!<br /><br />Richard

adlevo

Cadet

Hi All, got a question, working on a 73-77 850 merc, and the main bearing reed blocks, are they actually bearings, or are they just called that due to the location. Mine seem very loose on the crank to be main bearings. actually look like they do not even touch the crank. ( so how could they wear) Anyone know? Anyone know the clearance?

Thanks