How hard to replace prop seal,old 10 hp merc.

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My cousin has a old 9.8 hp merc,,it also says kiehafer on the hood somewhere.We want to replace the prop seal.What is the best way to go around to it.Are these parts still available.

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How hard to replace prop seal,old 10 hp merc.

Anyone,,,any clue.

alcan

Commander
Re: How hard to replace prop seal,old 10 hp merc.

Hi Mrtool<br />Resealing gear cases isn't a real tough job usually, if you know what your doing and have adequate tools. The best advice I can give you is to aquire a manual and study up on the situation. This will give you an idea of what is involved and if your skills are up to the challange. Remember the manuals can only explain how things are supposed to go. It would be impossible for a book to explain how to disassemble a thirty year old motor that may or may not be stuck up with corrosion. The parts you will need should be readily avallable. If you are going to replace the prop shaft seal, you may as well replace all the seals and servive the water pump as well. Just take your time post your questions here and someone will have a trick to help you solve problems as they arise. The best thing about reading the book is it helps us to comunitcate about the motors parts more acurately. We will all know what thingymobob you are talking about. You my find a copy of an after market manual at the library or maybe order one from Iboats. A lot of the guys here will recomend an OEM manual, and they are great. <br />For the casual,average outboard,owner,operator servicer and mechanic, I feel the after market manuals provide the most info for the buck. The draw back to them is, there is too much info for some folks to sort out. Espeically when they are in a hurry to go fishin and want to make the repair 5mins before they leave and have never sat down and read the book.