1997 mariner 135hp-upper&lower shift shaft can't align

sullymate

Cadet
I just changed the water pump impeller, no problem. Now i can't align the upper & lower shift shafts. When I push the lower unit on, the upper shift rod moves up and does not slip over the lower shift rod. I tried holding the upper shift rod with vice-grips to prevent it from moving upward but it won't slip over the lower rod. Can the lower shift rod be turned to help it align. The drive shaft is ok and is aligning. <br />the lower unit comes to within 1/2 inch of connecting with the upper housing. Any info would be much appreciated. Sullymate

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: 1997 mariner 135hp-upper&lower shift shaft can't align

get someone on deck to turn flywheel by hand.<br />as you push her bottom up, a lil' back and forth<br />motion will help splines catch (hopefully)<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

DHPMARINE

Captain

sullymate, 1/2 inch seems about right for shift rod problems.<br />Make sure both engine and lower unit are BOTH in forward.As you install the unit,see if you can move the upper shift shaft with needle nose pliers.Try for and aft,port and starboard.THEN try rotating it slightly.<br />Sometimes they are off just enough to tire your arms,and "get" to you.<br />DHP

KCLOST

Commander

sully,<br /><br />I had this problem once with my old 50hp Merc. Here is a trick that may help...<br /><br />First use some kind of shim or anything that you can wedge in between the TOP of the upper shift shaft linkage and the bottom of the head (this is not at the lower unit, rather just under the power head where the upper shift shaft exits). This will prevent it from being pushed upward...<br /><br />Next when lining up the lower unit to reinstall, use a screwdriver, or hook, or something that is bent to help you get the upper and lower shafts lined up (this is assuming they are both in the same gear position). Once lined up, you can push up without worrying about raising the upper shaft. <br />As you probably know already, you should get some help... You're help can also wiggle the shift lingage that conncect to the top of the shift shaft.<br />You'll get it...