merc 850 - how bad is the damage? worth the new parts?

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've posted various questions before about rebuilding my mercury 850 serial no 7033755. I am currently at the crux of the rebuild, just before spending a great deal of money and would like some popular opinions about my options.<br /><br />The initial symptom was no compression in cylinder no. 2. I separated the power head and tore it down in my garage. I found out that one of the little tabs at the gap in the piston ring that keeps from spinning (i think it's called the index pin in the piston ring grouve) broke off while the engine was running and the ring broke apart. This left the top of the cylinder and the piston with bits of ring embedded in it. The cylinder wall was remarkably undamaged. I had all of the cylinder walls measured with an inside micrometer by a machinist and found out that the cylinders are very worn and he surmised that the ring broke from having to work so hard to keep up with the cylinder taper. My cylinders are tapered far out of spec.<br /><br />So the repair required is to have four blind cylinders bored at a cost of CAN$60 each which means four new pistons at CAN$150 each minimum. I'm looking at an CAN$840 repair min with a few hundred more thrown in for a water pump kit and gasket kit, and main seals. Probably about CAN$1200 all told.<br /><br />There are a few items that will derail the whole project. A new crankshaft is $1400. Project ender, period.<br /><br />One of the crank shaft journals (cly 3) has some wormy looking pitting. I can't feel it with my finger nail, but it's visible. It also has a spot which isn't shiny like the rest of it, roughly in the shape of a needle bearing. That dull spot again I can't feel with my finger nail. Is that what the manual descirbes as "water scroing" (more questions about that later)<br /><br />Additionally, the manual talks about "water scoring" in the section on inspection of connecting rods. My connecting rods have stains which look a little bit like oil on water does. The rest is shiny but in little "clouds" around a spot in the shape of one of the needle bearings, there's this discoloured area. It's not rough or pitted. But it's very close to the description that the manual says is "water scoring". The manual says, if water scoring is present the entire connecting rod set must be replaced.<br /><br />I could really use some information on what "water scoring" is, beyond the manual's description. It says "damage as a result of water contamination"<br /><br />I have some images that I can post, once I get them up on some web space.

BF

Lieutenant
Re: merc 850 - how bad is the damage? worth the new parts?

I saw a mid 70's vintage 85 hp merc in the paper today, claimed "like new" for $1200 obo (cdn) with PT/T and controls. I think it's a tough call... if rebuilt properly, yours should be good for a long time... or you could repower and maybe sell yours as a parts motor, or even just the LU, and end up cheaper in the end (?). Of course there's the danger of buying someone else's problem, but rebuilds can go wrong too... The absolute cheapest would be if you were lucky enough to find a decent 85 with a bad lower unit and swap yours onto it. <br /><br />Geeze $150 /piston sounds pricey. I hope I never need any! <br /><br />good luck,<br /><br />Brent

Clams Canino

Commander

There are good aftermarket pistons for those at well under $100 US.<br /><br />Pro-Marine<br />Sierra<br />Vertex<br />and Even (cough) Wiseco<br /><br />And waterscoring is on the bores, caused by a water leak in the exhaust plates usually.<br /><br />-W

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Tough to say without looking but as a rule, if you can't feel those little discolored places on the crankshaft they'll polish out with 1200 grit emory cloth. Same thing with the rods. If the roller bearings will roll over those little places without catching, they'll be okay.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If it wuz mine, I'd polish the rods and crank up with 1200 grit and then run it like a borrowed horse.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

I would the same as Hooty but if you change our mind I got one the needs a lower unit.<br />Hope for the best

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hooty, <br />thanks for your opinion. I am certainly into boring and new pistons, which is a considerable cost. Do you think that this sort of existing damage will put my investment in new parts at risk thats not worth taking? Is it really damage or just an unusual stain? If I could get five years out of the rebuild, heck maybe even two, it would be worth it to me.<br /><br />Rex,<br />Where are you, and what year is your powerhead? 850 thunderbolt? I may be interested, although if you are not in the northern US, the shipping will probably drive the cost far too high.<br /><br />I'm in Ottawa Ontario Canada. But you could also ship to a Toronto address and a Peterborough address.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Mark,<br />It's not damage or strain. Polish the journal up with 1200 and oil. With very little polishing, it'll look like new. If there are no fractures or dings that will keep the roller bearings from turning freely, it'll be fine.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

Hello I'm in Anderson IN.<br />I got a 1969 80 hp I need to look in the book<br />to see if they will work.<br />Rex

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MERCMARK: Didn't see your thread until this afternoon. If you go the rebuild route and can't get the crank and rods to look the way you want because they're perhaps more than stained, call us at (860) 683-1317. We can help you at MUCH lower cost than a new crank. :cool:

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rex,<br /><br />I don't know where I could verfy if the 80 would fit my lower unit. Besides shipping a powerhead from Indiana (IN?) would probably cost a mint. <br />..or were you thinking I would be shipping my lower unit?

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Neecaprs,<br /><br />What's you business and company name? I'm not familliar with the process that you're offering.<br /><br />Are you building up new metal then machining back down to the same size as it is now?

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MercMark: Our business is two stroke crankshaft repair; Company is NEECA,LLC.<br />We don't build them back up. We refinish to just clean up(both journal and rod) then match oversized needles/rollers to as-new clearances.<br />I wouldn't be surprised if yours only needed 0.001" per side.

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

What ever you deside just let me know.<br />I would have the lower unit shipped,<br />I need to check on the price but If<br />I was you I would very close to the <br />price it going to cost to have every done.<br />1) You been arould boat engine so you know <br />what best.<br />2) If you was thinking about the lower unit<br />just e-mail <br />I hope the best you.<br />Thank you<br />Rex

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey MercMark.i am in the "same boat"with borring powerhead and on top of it my connecting rods have a bluish colour at crank shaft.mechanic told me that it would cost thousands of $ to get it fixed.am stillin the process of dissasembly.where did you had your holes borred?here in Canada?$60sounds like a good price.am in Barrie,ont and guys want $150 per hole.if i go ahead with repair am putting aftermarket pistons/rings.not sure what to do with connecting rods.good luck with your project.great post.