converting a tiller steer to steering wheel

rem0h

Recruit
I have a 2000 25hp Mercury with electric start and shifter on the tiller handle. A dealer quoted me $1500 to convert to a steering wheel, remote starter button and shifter cables for the throttle and gear select. Does anyone know if there is a source for aftermarket parts for this? It can't be that hard to do. Oh yeah the engine is on an 18' john.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: converting a tiller steer to steering wheel

remOh,<br /> Yes this sounds high.Let's try to break it down in stages.You need a kit to remove the tiller handle,and install hardware to mount a steering cable to your motor.Now you need another kit to enable the shift cable and throttle cable to mount and work on the engine.A wiring harness needs to go up front,along with two control cables.Next needed is a control box to connect this to.Now we need a place to mount it.A steering cable would be nice,and connect it to a helm.Woops....where do we mount the helm...Oh yeah in the new console.Do we want a seat so we can operate from the new console?<br /> I'm not trying to be a wise *ss But I am thinking how I would go about doing your project.<br /> You might save something on aftermarket,BUT don't loose quality.<br /> DHP<br /><br /> oops,did I mention labor charges?

beaver1340

Recruit

remHo<br />I would like to buy your tiller handle off of your 25 Merc. I am trying to convert my steering back the other way. If interested please email me at Sammy_pugh@nps.gov

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

$1500 parts and labor? I'd go for it at that price. At our shop, we wouldn't touch a job like that (as DHP describes) for less than $2000 parts and labor.<br /><br />And again, you may do better pricing aftermarket, but I gotta agree with DHP, you will sacrafice quality. Be careful.<br /><br />Good luck!