water pump replacement mariner 135 hp-1997

sullymate

Cadet
I have the repair manual and have read it. one question, does the shift rod have to be disconnected or will the shift rod just slide out when all bolts are removed and the lower unit is dropped? or is there a bolt that holds the shift rod in place underneath the powerhead? Also it is a cam-shift model so should it be placed in forward gear before work is started? Also i want to install a water pressure gauge, the directions say to locate the plug in the water cooling jacket. I see a brass plug on the water jacket with an "F" shaped plastic part with 2 hollow male ar coming out of the plug. obviously the plugs are not open or being used. Is this the connection for the water pressure gauge? thanks for any info you can give me. Sullymate

KCLOST

Commander
Re: water pump replacement mariner 135 hp-1997

The shift shaft will disconnect right above where the lower unit connects to the drive shaft housing. The upper shift shaft will not fall out but it can be pushed upward when you reattach the lower unit. You need to be careful to line up the splines on the lower shaft into the upper or you could push it up and never get them attached. I like to use a shim of some kind to place above the shift linkage where the upper shaft attaches. This helps to keep it from moving upward and makes the installation easier IMO.<br /><br />I think the plug where the pressure guage fitting will go is at the top of the block right behind the outer edge of the flywheel. It's a plug that measures 3/4 or 19mm in diameter (actually 1/2" pipe thread). I'm getting ready to install one on my motor.<br />I'm not really following your description of the "f" shaped plastic thing. <br /><br />My installation is to remove the plug (mine has no plastic piece), install a 1/2" male to 1/8" female brass bushing reducer, install an elbow into the bushing and attach the hose to the elbow.<br />Here is a good link to installation instructions on several motors.<br /> http://www.tflx.com/PDF/99376.pdf

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Merc/Mariner Troubles.

sullymate

Cadet

Thanks for your advise KCLOST. I appreciate your help.

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "F" shaped plastic thing may be the enrichment valve. If so it should have one of the hose nipples connected to the carbs. the other one is open to the atmosphere. If this is the enrichment vale you would not want to connect the w/p guage to it. Just a guess on my part.<br /><br />RFish >()> :p

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep I tend to agree with ya robalofish.<br /> I make my own plugs from the existing fitting. if its the 1/2 pipe then drill into one of the flats and tap it 1/8th pipe. or you can buy it from merc.<br /> good luck and keep posting<br />if ya try to make your own mark the flat that faces aft so your fitting will face aft when you reinstall it.

sullymate

Cadet

thanks robalofish, that F shaped valve by the heads is an enrichment valve with 1 tube going to the carb. thanks for your help.