Mercury Panel Control

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm trying to remove a Mercury remote control from the boats side panel. I've taken all of the bolts loose from the backside but don't have a clue as how to separate the handle on the outside with the box on the backside of the panel.<br />This control is the type that has a large button in the middle of the handle you have to depress to get it to go into neutral where you can rev the engine up. To avoid confusion, the handle and medallion are the only parts of the remote exposed. The control linkage & mechanism are behind the panel. The ignition switch is separate on the dash panel.<br />Thanks,<br />JD

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Mercury Panel Control

JD,I'm not sure what control you have,but it might be a Quicksilver (MERC) one.They also have many designs.Try pressing the button in and going to full throttle.(engine OFF in case Sam is watching) Next see if the button can be slowly pryed out using two small screwdrivers.If so,you can now get to an 11/16 nut holding the handle on.<br />From there be very careful of the trim and tilt wires.<br />DHPMARINE

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

DHPMARINE <br />Thanks so much, you were right on on your instructions. It worked like a charm, right down to the 11/16th socket. Earlier I started to try prying the button but I would have never known to go WOT first. I'm sure I would have broke something. This control is Mercury and it is coming off a 2003 Tracker Avalanche. The handle has a leather-looking rubber coating that is in two pieces, held in place by 4-5 little torx screws. It' a good looking, ergonomic type control with eliptical looking medalion. I'm re-powering from a Merc 115 to a Johnson/Suzuki 140 4-stroke. What's a one year old control like this and a set of 12' cables worth?<br />Thanks again,<br />JD

Clams Canino

Commander

I know I'll give you $100 for it if it's undamaged. :) <br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by JD__:<br /><br />What's a one year old control like this and a set of 12' cables worth?

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clams,<br />The control, wiring and cabling is only 1 year old and completely undamaged. I didn't cut any wires, everything unplugged. I also have a Merc wiring harness and an ignition switch with keys. If your're interested email me at <br />jabshire@cablenet-va.com

Clams Canino

Commander

Sold!<br /><br />Emailing now.... :) <br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by JD__:<br />Clams,<br />The control, wiring and cabling is only 1 year old and completely undamaged. I didn't cut any wires, everything unplugged. I also have a Merc wiring harness and an ignition switch with keys. If your're interested email me at <br />jabshire@cablenet-va.com

Clams Canino

Commander

Reason I want it is when I refitted my boat from Jonnyrude to Mercury, I used a cheap generic controller to "get by". <br /><br />I want the nice new Merc one.<br /><br />-W

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Aw shucks! I wish I'd seen this one earlier. I know the answer to this one well because this was the very first question I asked on this forum. <br />By the way, my local Merc dealer wanted to charge me $127.00 to get that puppy off. It took me all of 10 minutes after I got the advice. Needless to say, I avoid that dealer now.

Clams Canino

Commander

For the record let it be known to all men (and wimmins) that JD is a square dood. I sent him 100 clams and my new controller just came in the mail, just as described.<br /><br />JD, consider this your positive feedback. :D <br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by Clams Canino:<br />Sold!<br /><br />Emailing now.... :) <br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by JD__:<br />Clams,<br />The control, wiring and cabling is only 1 year old and completely undamaged. I didn't cut any wires, everything unplugged. I also have a Merc wiring harness and an ignition switch with keys. If your're interested email me at <br />jabshire@cablenet-va.com