info for mercury classic fifty 45 hp

amitropo

Cadet
Hi, could any one please direct me as to where i could find any info on an outboard mercury 45 hp classic fifty( on the side of the motor). I am about to buy a boat and would like to find out as much info as possible, thanks.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: info for mercury classic fifty 45 hp

Do you have the serial no (8 digit on bracket) or any pics ?

amitropo

Cadet

I will try and look for it on the weekend as it is my uncles boat that i want to buy and i am meeting up with him on sunday, thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Good reliable motor. Check spark and compression. Rebuild the water pump. Change the gearlube. If it has an AutoBlend system attached, remove it and premix your gas at 50:1.

amitropo

Cadet

thanks i am new to boating, so what should the compression be, and is there any benefit in pre mixing the fuel..

Clams Canino

Commander

120 and up is good compression.<br />Removing the auto-blend eliminates a possible source of failure. Premixing the gas is just easy security.<br /><br />-W

amitropo

Cadet

thanks, does anyone know where i can get some reviews on the classic fifty

Clams Canino

Commander

Originally posted by amitropo:<br />thanks, does anyone know where i can get some reviews on the classic fifty
Here's my review:<br /><br />First released to the public in 1949 as the "Thunderbolt", the outboard now known as the "Classic 50" became the most successfull and longest made outboard in the history of outboarding. <br /><br />While undergoing several minor design revisions and three different ignition systems during its 50 years of production, this simple 4 cylinder, 2 cycle outboard remained true to it's original design to the end. If there's a more reliable outboard in the 50hp range, it'll take another 40 years for someone to prove it.<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

Or to put it another way. Getting a review on Mercurys little 4 cylinder outboard is like getting a review on the small block Chevy, or the Harley Davidson V-twin. It's one of those timeless engine designs that was the bedrock of an entire industry. :) <br /><br />Treat it well and it *will* outlive you. :) <br /><br />-W

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wish I had my old 74 model fifty back great little motor and you almost could not kill it. They trolled, they skiied, they pontooned, they cruised. They everything but the windows and dishes.

amitropo

Cadet

was the 86 to 89 clasic fifty designed as a salt or fresh water motor

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Clams<br /><br />You tend to refer to the "50" as a "Little" motor.<br />Haven't you heard that size doesn't matter... :D <br /><br />amitropo <br /><br />I think you can run them in any water, but in salt, you must flush them after use. I think only the newer models are "Specifically" designed to have a better salt water tolerance.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a little note on flushing "After" running in salt water. I had a Marine Maint. Instructor that told us that if running in salt water and you shut the motor off while out there, the salt water in the motor will cook the salt onto the walls of the pathways. He said that the best way is to launch in fresh water, run around in the salt water and then back into the fresh water while NOT shutting off the motor in the salt water. Or if possible, take the flush muffs hooked to the hose and on and slip it on the motor, while running, at the ramp, but most ramps are too busy for that.<br /><br />Craig

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Where we are (Australia) we have summer water restrictions and don't even get to use a hose for ANYTHING, let alone at ramps. :(