Converting 2001 Mercury 25hp To shifter

oompalumpa61

Recruit
Hi i have a 2001 25 mercury on a 1965 14ft boston whaler and i'm looking to convert it to a side shift instead of tiller handle. I am not sure what kind of throttle cables to use. These newer motors are much different from the older ones. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.<br /><br />Thank You <br />Robbie

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Converting 2001 Mercury 25hp To shifter

Are you talking about converting a tiller shift to a remote control?

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

First you need a remote control attaching kit (Merc part number 826633A 1) then just the standard shift and throttle cables should work. Don't forget about a steering link rod attaching kit too! Merc part number 41323A 2. That and a control box should get you all set! Good luck :cool:

Trophy23

Seaman

I just converted a Mercury 25ELH 4stroke to a remote. I talked to Merc dealer and they wanted almost 800 bucks to convert and suggested I trade it in as it would be cheaper and a new warranty. I figured I could do better. I made one mistake. I bought a 15000A7 merc remote control kit thinking it was all the parts needed. All it is is a remote key and switch with alarm. Make sure yours has all necessary hardware. I ended up ordering each part separately. Worst thing that happened was that my "merc type 600A" cables didn't match up with the Teleflex type remote I had. Try to buy a Merc remote or one that has Merc attachments included. Still cost me about 300 plus bucks and a couple of days of rigging.<br />Anyone need an extra 15000A7 remote control kit or a factory Tillar handle conversion. :)

oompalumpa61

Recruit

Thanks for all the help. I am going to order the remote attaching kit (826633A1). But not the steering bar i can rig one of those up myself...76$ hahaha. Does anyone know where i can get mercury controls used or discounted prices. I have been looking around e-bay but any other suggestions would help.<br /><br />Thank You<br />Robbie

neue0014

Cadet

I would like to buy your tiller and the corresponding parts if they are available for sale. I am look ing to convert my motor into a tiller. Please reply or send me a PM if you are interested. Thanks