Mercury 225 HP Lower unit removal

Vic D

Recruit
I have a 1999 225 Merc Opti Max. I have lost about 2 inches of my skag and bent two blades of the SS prop. I have a bad vibration at about 1500-2000RPM but the everything is smooth as silk at 4000 RPM. Can the shaft be bent and act this way? Or can the two slightly bent prop blades cause this?<br /><br />Also , what is the procedure to remove the lower unit? Must it be removed to have the skag rewelded?<br />Can I repair the prop without heat?<br /><br />Any info will be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Vic D<br /><br />Any

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 225 HP Lower unit removal

You can have that fixed without removing the lower foot. Hopefully you just bent the prop. Get a new prop, have some skeg added, and see how she runs then(I am hoping your prop shaft is OK). :D

KCLOST

Commander

Looking down at the back of the prop, turn the prop and see if the end of the shaft has a wobble to it. That will tell you if the shaft leaving the gears is ok...

Vic D

Recruit

Thanks for the feedback. The prop is only slightly bent at the tips. Can I reform the ends without heat or should I put a torch to it?

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Most posters will say "Send out to the prop shop". I have on several occasions takes two large crescent wrenches and bent blades back in place on stainless props. If you do it, place the wrench tips next to each other, using one to hold the good side and the other to bend the bad side..... Just slowly work the bend out. :D :D :D