Mercury starter - can i weld the bendix

Rob in Gabon

Recruit
We are in Gabon West africa and have a 1 year old 90hp 2 stroke mercury outboard- the starter bendix engages but then stops spinning as it would appear that there is a clutch/bushing of some form as the drive nut comes off the top of the worm gear( into the back of the bendix gear) to allow the starter to spin free of the bendix gear- it will take several weeks to obtain a spare in our location and cost over $600US can this bendix clutch / bushing be removed or repaired in the bendix - is it opossible to weld the nut that runs on the worm gear to the actual gear so that it will still drive the flywheel and disengage as required when running?? any advise would be great- Rob in Gabon

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury starter - can i weld the bendix

Rob<br /> hello from the states<br /> I am not positive I understand your delima. you say the drive engages the flywheel. does the lower part of the drive spin and the toothed part not spin after engaugemnt?<br /> I welded the upper part of the drive to the lower on a sport jet 90 to get the people through a weekend. the drive has a 2 part with a rubber bushing between them. if the get wet or over oiled they can slip. usually once they start slipping they usually wont stop. repost and reword the description so I can get an idea of what is going on. good luck and keep posting.

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

No dont weld it. Give me your email address and I can find you one used.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Is it the shipping that makes the price so high?<br /><br />The bendix sells for $40.00 here in Canada.<br /><br />$350.00 for the entire starter.<br /><br />TMD

Rob in Gabon

Recruit

Thank you all for the comments- we are situated right on the edge of the second largest rainforest on earth, with import duty tax and shipping here adding nearly the same cost again to anything that you buy here and that’s if it actually what you ordered or indeed actually arrives.<br /><br />So until we can get someone to bring a spare in i was looking at making a temp repair - technically is their any issue with bypassing the rubber bushing as Rodbolt suggests that he did to get him over a weekend (thanks Rodbolt) or will i damage the starter in some way that i will have to replace the entire starter and not just the drive gear? Appreciating your advice - Rob

DJENAN

Seaman Apprentice

I WOULD WELD IT AND THEN IF U DO STUFF IT UP ORDER ANOTHER ANOTHER STARTER.