mercury 50 exhaust smoke engin front

cadugas

Recruit
I have just purchased my first boat. Used.<br />The engin is Mercury 50, 1992 model.<br />I took it out for the first time. The motor seemed to run great, but there seemes to be alot of smoke coming from the front of the motor near the top of the motor mount beacket. The bracket seemes to be lose on the motor. <br /><br />Any Suggestions.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: mercury 50 exhaust smoke engin front

Did it have a strong flow of water coming from the telltale ?

cadugas

Recruit

yes it hade a strong flow of water.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

2 strokes do blow a bit of smoke esp when cold, but smoke from there sounds a bit odd.<br />Mostly, it is from the exhaust.<br />Could you be more specific on where it is coming from ? The people on here can then pinpoint your problem (If there is one) more accurately.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> sounds bad.<br /> we had a lot of upper motor mount problems with those years. some engines would eat a set a year.sounds like the exhaust adapther to power head gasket has failed and the hot exhaust has cooked the rubber mounts.<br /> they make an aluminium mount that some of my commercial guys have had some success with. will require a power head removal to repair.<br /> good luck and keep posting and now you need a manual :)