fuel pump for mercury 200hp efi??? is dealer ripping me off

dj_kev

Cadet
Went to the repair shop thought fuel pump was bad mechaninc confirmed it says part is 400.00 and 20 for gasket no prob about the gaseket and then 300.00 for labor <br /><br />Are they trying to rip me a new one on this????

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fuel pump for mercury 200hp efi??? is dealer ripping me off

Does a can of crunchy peanut butter come with that because I think your getting screwed. If your mechanically inclined, thats a real easy do it yourself job. Im not sure about you motor, but a fuel pump rebuild kit should be available for your motor. Shouldnt run you over $20.00 maybe. Hang tight before you make any moves so another mechanic can confirm this, I'm not sure about your motor. I wouldnt pay that much for someone I dont know to even touch my motor.

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The efi system has two fuel pumps.. <br /><br />A mechanical one just like the one on most other mercury products, and then there's the high pressure fuel pump mounted in the VST.<br /><br />I don't doubt that the high pressure pump is expensive, but I don't think it's a 300 dollar job. At 70$ an hour, that's over 4 hours of labor.. Too much <br />I feel like it's at most a 2 hour job, including test running the motor afterwards etc..<br /><br />Scott..

dj_kev

Cadet

it is the electronic pump mounted int the vst and thanks for your information

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> yes that pump is about 300 dollars. if they cannot change it in 45 minutes get another tech, I service 3 or 4 a week. the new pump should come with a filter. the filter is about 90 from a yamaha dealer. some of the VST mouted pumps from yamaha will fit the merc tanks. the filter should be serviced at least annually as well as the tank cleaned. its not hard at all and does not require a lot of parts removal. good luck and keep us posted

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda figured that. You gotta watch out for dealerships dude. You did good about coming here first. I say DO IT YO SELF BRO!!! HERE HERE :D

dj_kev

Cadet

Thanks guys for your information. I asked the servixce manager why he wanted to charge so much for installation. He saidit was very difficult I told him according to 4 other repair shops i called that it was an hour 2 tops counting testing he told me he would reduce the price to 1 hr labor and dropped the price to what I found at his competition. $295.00 I wished I had time this week to do it myself but will be traveling and have a tournament to fish this weekend so it being fixed is more important well it being fixed at a reasonable price is the most important.<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Kevin