1969 Mercury Model 1250 Inline 6 85horse? How to start without controls?

Hi Guys,<br />Just wondering if anyone can give me a way to start this old motor I bought it from a guy who's boat was stolen, so I did not get the controls. I would like to start it up but I do not have the electrical harness to plug into the side of the motor. I would describe the plug as a 6 pin. It has 4 small pins and 2 large ones. I am guessing there is some way to jump a couple wires directly to a battery to turn it over but I dont want to fry anything. Any advice would be great. <br />Thanks <br />Joe

ararathe

Cadet
Re: 1969 Mercury Model 1250 Inline 6 85horse? How to start without controls?

you can directly inject 12 volts into the starter solenoid red wire on it's side and then by-pass another wire from this red connector to the yellow connector of the solenoid! I had to do the same thing when my solenoid when out! this is ONLY done to make sure the motor works!

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello:<br /><br />I had a 2 1969 Merc 1250's. They are great motors. It is rated at 125hp at the powerhead, take about 10% off that and that's what you are getting at the prop (Approx 110hp). They are very strong motors. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed ours.<br /><br />Craig

Hi Craig,<br />Why is the model number 1250 on it but it says 80 horse power? Do I possibly have a wrong cover for the motor? I would think 6 cylinder would be more than 80 horse.<br />Thanks Joe

Hi,<br />Still a little unclear on jumping the wires from starter to cellenoid, do I put the positive then on the red, and negative on the yellow. Or just ground the negative to the motor frame?<br />Thanks<br />Joe

ararathe

Cadet

If you have a battery charger with clamps, connect the positive lead(red clamp)of the battery charger to the red positive terminal of the starter solenoid. Connect the negative lead of the battery charger(black clamp)to the black terminal of the solenoid(common ground). Cut a separate 6 inch cable(prefer thickness just like the positive wire of the battery) and jump the red positive terminal of the starter solenoid to the yellow terminal of the starter solenoid. It should start rith up!

Thanks ararath,<br />I will give it a try tonight!<br />Thanks<br />Joe

jfholijr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK so after starting the motor this way how do you shut it off. Reason I ask is i have a motor that i want to test the same way and i want to be able to turn it off too. Thanks

ararathe

Cadet

You should be able to shut it off with the ignition switch. Ignition switch must be on the active position before you jump it!

Hi Guys,<br />I was able to jump my motor without an ignition switch. What I did was I ran jumper cables from my positive side of the battery to the positive side of the solenoid and then the negative side of the battery to the negative side of the starter. Then I jumped a wire between the two small wires on the solenoid then to the posititve side of the battery cable. It turned the motor over, Now I dont know what those two terminals on the solenoid are that I jumped the wire between, but thats what did it for me. Of course I wasnt able to start the motor because of bad plugs and no gas but as soon as I rectify those problems, I should be able to start it. To stop the motor I would probably just run it out of gas.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

oops

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

choke it. it should shut down