Paint touch up on mercury??

paulgp6022

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, can I use black fingernail polish to spot touch up a nick on my lower unit? The nick is about the size of a grain of rice. Finger nail polish is enamel, so it is strong stuff and should work right? Thanks in advance.

paulgp6022

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Paint touch up on mercury??

Thanks for the reply and the compliment!

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

There'll be quite a few more of those little knicks as she gets older.... :D <br />But.. seriously, if it has gone back to the aluminium, nothing will stick to it, unless you use a zinc etching primer. I sprayed my L/U with various types of Auto paint, it just comes off with the abrasive sand and water flow.

paulgp6022

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know.. :( it is a constant battle against the elements and father time..

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mercury sells "phantom black" spray paint that seems to stay on fairly well. Just clean the area with Laquer thinner, and give it a good dusting. But it won't stay on forever..<br /><br />Scott.

wes_moore

Cadet

I got a cheap can of black spray paint and it worked great there wasn't a difference between colours I used some clear laquer to make it shiny. the can said odds and ends on it and I would recommend it for mercury's<br /><br />----------<br />Wes

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

If you really want to do a good permanent (within reason) job. You need to look up the subject and you will find that you need to sand the affected area back to metal, use an "Etching" primer, which sticks to the alloy, and then you can paint with the Merc black. This top coat is just Nitro or Arcylic laquer. It's that etch paint that provides good adhesion. Painting alloy is always difficult, as people with Aluminium boats will tell you. It's all in the undercoat. ;) <br />'ave a lookat dis..<br /> http://continuouswave.com/maintenance-logs/paintSkeg/

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good lord, I should use this on my whole lower unit, mine looks like a zeebra or something... :D

KCLOST

Commander

I'll tell you what I will do for anyone wanting to paint a lower unit...<br />This is all you have to do...<br /><br />Take the lower unit off,<br />Remove the water pump assembly,<br />Remove the drive shaft,<br />Remove the shift shaft, <br />Remove the propeller,<br />Remove the gears,<br />Remove the Trim Tab,<br />Not necessarily in that order.......<br />Basically strip the whole thing down until all you have is the housing of the lower unit. make sure you have cleaned out all the gear lube and flushed with solvent, I can't have any of that left in there...<br />Piece of cake!!!!!<br />Then send the lower unit to me and I'll place it in a burn off oven and burn off all the old paint. Then run it through a five stage cleaning process, and powder coat the housing with a Gloss Black Hybrid (epoxy/polyester) good hardness and UV resistance, cure it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes and that baby will be 10 times better than it ever was even brand new. All you have to do is follow those easy steps and I guarantee a beautiful finish that will nver flake off (within reason of course)<br /> :) :) :) :) <br />Free of charge...