What to lube steering bar with

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I notice light rust forming on the steering 'bar' (for lack of a better term) on the outboard. I just rubbed it off with my hand but what should this bar be lubricated with to keep it moving smoothly and resist corrosion? FYI I only take it in freshwater.<br />I have a tube of blue grease that is labeled "waterproof grease for trailer wheel bearings" Is that good?<br /><br />Thanks

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What to lube steering bar with

I'm a mechanic in the military and us greasemonkeys use grease on everything. Battery terminals, other electrical connections, tow shackles, P.brake handles, ect. ect.<br /> Axle grease or any kind of thick petrolium will keep oxygen off of any metals once applyed. Especially whith batt terminals, it keeps the yellow nasty corrosion off. Rust as well. All corrosion and rust is is a chemical reaction with oxygen and moisture.<br /> Heres sone more advise for you to apply grease on your boat. That pully crank on the front of your boat trailer to pull the boat on from the water, apply grease all over those gears and on all those little moving parts to prevent rust.<br /> Put some inside your trailer lights all over where your bulbs connect at to prevent corrosion.<br /> Apply some inside your trailer light hookups and your truck trailer light hookups to prevent corosion.<br /> Smeer some all over your Batt terminals to prevent corrosion.<br /> Take your motor cover off and apply some on all electrical connections especially on your switch box, coils, starter, cylinoid, and anything else you can find.<br /> Apply some in any general area, any moving part, and any electrical hook up you can find.<br /> Metal+grease=love

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had what I thought was a compulsion to coat my guns and tools with oil before storing them. I guess I wasn't so crazy afterall. I suppose I could transfer this paranoia over to boats too :D <br />Any recommendation on what grease to use? Is the waterproof bearing grease OK for this application?<br /><br />Thanks!

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

With using this kind of method in preventive maint. It doesnt really matter. I use regular military issued GAA, no special grease, just regular gear and artillery grease, or axle grease. Just as long as its nasty.<br /> Dont be shy with it, get messy with it, more the marrier, you'll appreciate it in the long run.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Use a waterproof grease and inject it with a grease gun into the grease zerks (grease nipples) on the front of your steering tube/clamp bracket.

hey merc. No expert here, but in my case found a light coat of marine and always park with end contracted keeps mine working right.Good luck.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mercury Quicksilver 2-4-C grease with teflon is all we use on steering systems :cool:

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

My steerring wheel doesnt have any grease fittings on the shaft itself, I normally keep it sprayed down with wd40.

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK lots of good tips here. Jimd's post reminds me of a general question I had on zerk fittings. I bought a grease gun a few years ago because my lawnmower has a fitting to grease the front wheels. But for my trailer's hubs I dont know how much to use? I have those bearing buddy things in the hubs and I have heard people complaining about them getting overfilled. Can you over fill those? I thought the point was you just pump grease in there until the old grease squirts out and you're done. Is there more to it?<br /><br />Same with the fittings on the boat; do you just squirt it in there until you see all the old grease come out? Is there a danger of overfilling or bursting something with greasegun pressure?<br /><br />I like Jenny's Dirtwater tip though, after I grease it I will make sure to turn it all the way to port so it's not exposed...

KCLOST

Commander

No worry about over filling... Especially on the trailer wheel hubs... Most of those are designed to pump grease into the far side of the bearings so the grease fills from the back to the front. This in turn will push any water that may have gotten into the hub out before you start seeing the old or excess grease come out.

tradin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i beg to differ but bearing buddies are no good i just replaced my axle and the guy i bought it from said people overfill with grease and blow the rear seals your better off to check once a month and re-grease if needed if you do use bearing buddies you only have to check them not fill them up all the time just something i was told not sure but it does make sense

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I have heard similar things, people pumped more and more grease into the fitting until the darn thing was so full it popped off on the highway!<br />How are you supposed to get the old grease out? How do you know how full the hubs are??<br /><br />Thanks

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bearing buddies are to pumped until you see the front plate start to move out towards you then you stop.But you should take these bearings apart every few yrs and clean and rpack like we used to on our cars yrs ago!<br /><br />use 2-4-c with teflon on your steering zerk is right in the front of the motor.<br /><br />Rich

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

On my bearing buddy system there is a small relief hole on the outside of the cup and as the outer spring loaded seal creeps outward it will uncover that hole and squirt grease on your new shoes to let you know its full. :rolleyes:

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow.. thirteen years later and the steering bar is still in good shape, thanks to the tips I picked up here :D

Do I get some kind of prize for raising the oldest post from the dead?

Last edited: