Marine Doc, Help!! 1979 200 Merc BM head bolt torque spec

footer

Cadet
Hi Doc, hope you have a second to help me. I have misplaced my shop manual and need to change the HG's on my 1979 200 Merc Black Max. SN 5014582. Can you tell me the ft/lbs torque spec for the head bolts? When I ordered the gaskets I was told there were 2 options and I wasn't given a definite on either set. My boat is 4 hours away and I plan to change them tomorrow evening, or else I'd pull the old one off and take it in, so I'll buy both and return the unused ones in their package. Can you let me know if there is a torque spec change between engineering level 1 and engineering level 2, if you are aware? I'll also be changing the thermostats and grommets as recommended. Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide!<br /><br />FOOTER

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Marine Doc, Help!! 1979 200 Merc BM head bolt torque spec

40 foot lbs. Apply a light oil to the bolts.<br /><br />TMD

footer

Cadet

You're the best Doc, where can I send the beer?<br /><br />Thanks for your speedy response!<br /><br />FOOTER

The Marine Doctor

Commander

You having fun out on the water is return enough for me.<br /><br />TMD

footer

Cadet

Yeah, I love the smell of vintage Mercury "2 stroke smoke" in the morning! Sometimes I'm not to popular with my lake neighbors at 6:30am when we're heading out to get the glassy ski water though..... Hahahaha<br /><br />I've been speaking your praises to my friends over the last couple of days, you are a valuable source of information and insight. Thanks for your time and your services to the boating community!<br /><br />FOOTER

JOCHEPERU

Recruit

Hi Doc, can u help me to find out the Gasket Head torque specs for Force 85 HP year 1985? thank you so much. :confused: