Manuals, Factory vs. Clymer vs. Seloc

I need to know what manual is better for a newbee? Seloc or Clymer :confused: , I see that Seloc is the only "approved" manual, but what do you think? I have a 85hp 1975 Mercury.

maxim

Recruit
Re: Manuals, Factory vs. Clymer vs. Seloc

I don't know anything about Clymer, but the Seloc one is fairly well detailed. It should be able to lead a newbie in the right direction. I wish I had a scanner so I could send you some pages, but I think its worth the $20-$30

bubbakat, Thanks for the info and the link, I read a lot there and it seems a small majority suggest the factory Mercury manual over both Seloc and Clymer, so I will try to get to their website and order (any one else's opinions appreciated still). This is an awesome site! I've been reading posts here 'til I'm seeing them in my dreams!!!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

seloc, seloc, seloc. nuff said.

tim Mc, Seloc eh....Hmmm, interesting, maybe I will hold off another day or two and see who else replies...

Thanks UU, appreciate the link. if "you get what you pay for" applies, then the factory manual @ 51.00 sounds like the way to go.

busboy

Cadet

I purchased a factory manual for my 650 thinking the factory book was the way to go. I found it to be a little short on procedures and bought the Seloc manual, much more user friendly in my opinion. Check eBay for the book, I got my Seloc manual used but in great condition for $16.00 Mike

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Seloc manual right now and its a bit annoying - they cover so many engines that it's hard to pick through it, ignoring one sentence and paying very close attention to the details of another, etc. Also for the procedure that I bought the book for (originally) it was wrong. I need to remove the lower unit and get at the water pump. They described the nuts to remove and did not cover the configuration I am looking at. This makes me lose confidence in the rest of the book ever being 100% right. ON THE OTHER HAND the Seloc manual is very wordy and I tend to like that as I need a lot of handholding with this type stuff. Sorry, I havent seen a Clymers outboard manual to compare it to.<br /><br />I have a 'real' manual on the way from Mercury (if you need the number for them, let me know, they are really hard to reach but very nice once you do) so I can compare it when it arrives. <br /><br />What was said above is probably true- I have a factory manual and a Clymer's manual for my Yamaha ATV. The factory manual is sparse and is probably written for mechanics who already know what they are doing. The Clymers is written for the neophyte or the shadetree mechanic at worst (which is just my speed). However I would trust any specs (torque specs, assembly/disassembly steps, measurements, tolerances, etc...) in the Yamaha manual more than in the Clymers. But maybe that's not warranted...mistakes can be in either book I guess.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I have a Clymer for my Merc and they also try to cover too many HP motors in one book.<br />Some diagrams are a bit unclear, like the shift lever alignment :confused: and refer to chemicals that are probably available in USA but not elswhere like "Perfect seal" and "Quicksilver" brands.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Yes - the Clymer and Seloc are based on the factory manuals. Explanatory text added, pictures more like 'photocopy-quality' and rather general. If you have the budget, both books on the shelf will give you 'the little extra' when you look for details.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Seloc, Found it to be ok the way they lead you through everthing. Just need to make sure you are looking at the right year horsepower model.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have compared some of the manuals. Although I do like Clymer, Seloc has some new features that tell you how difficult a certain procedure will be. Everything is labeled so that you know if a newbie can do it or if you have to be a wrench who's been around the block.<br /><br />Think about it...you don't want to get half way through taking something apart and then realize that it's going to be rather tough. Best to know ahead of time what to expect.<br /><br />Again, I do like the Clymer's but I think Seloc has the edge most of the time.<br /><br />- bayman

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

get both if u can afford it.... aftermarket is<br />a lil simpler to read and explains more, factory<br />has more techincal info, blow-ups etc.

Thanks to all. I just ordered the Seloc manual for starters, will get the factory next if I need more info after Seloc arrives.

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's something you can bet on. If you pay close attention to details, you will eventually move toward Clymers and Factory manuals. The Selocs are loaded with errors--some amazingly obvious-- and their pictures are often illegible. :rolleyes:

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Assembly is the reverse of removal" :mad:

Merc90HPnewbie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am starting to agree with neecaprs. I have found several problems in the Seloc book so far, maybe because they try to cover too many models. I'll have to check the mercury factory manuals and see if they are moe accurate.

I prefer the factory (Mercury) book myself, because it just gives me what I need, without a lot of the extra "wordiness", however I'm a rather experienced mechanic and only require a schematic most of the time, so I can see exactly where washers, shims, etc. go - and then I can do the job without any problems. That being said, I have used the others in the past and I would say that anyone with only a little or no experience would be better off with the Clymer. The Seloc does get a little too long-winded I think, and it has been known to be VERY inaccurate. There was a reference made to the Clymer "Installation is the reverse of removal" - I guess that can be frustrating to some people, but if you just read the steps backwards to #1 you should be all set MOST of the time. <br />Good luck, seems like with all the different opinions we may have confused you more than anything!