• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Manuals, Factory vs. Clymer vs. Seloc

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manuals, Factory vs. Clymer vs. Seloc

I need to know what manual is better for a newbee? Seloc or Clymer , I see that Seloc is the only "approved" manual, but what do you think? I have a 85hp 1975 Mercury.

Re: Manuals, Factory vs. Clymer vs. Seloc

I don't know anything about Clymer, but the Seloc one is fairly well detailed. It should be able to lead a newbie in the right direction. I wish I had a scanner so I could send you some pages, but I think its worth the $20-$30

Comment

I have both for my merc. and jonnie rudes but they are shop manuels not just tune up and repair manuel goes into a little more detail http://www.outboardrepairs.com/manuals/

Comment

bubbakat, Thanks for the info and the link, I read a lot there and it seems a small majority suggest the factory Mercury manual over both Seloc and Clymer, so I will try to get to their website and order (any one else's opinions appreciated still). This is an awesome site! I've been reading posts here 'til I'm seeing them in my dreams!!!

Comment

seloc, seloc, seloc. nuff said.

Comment

tim Mc, Seloc eh....Hmmm, interesting, maybe I will hold off another day or two and see who else replies...

Comment

If you're looking for a factury manual - second to none - try www.maxrules.com

Comment

Thanks UU, appreciate the link. if "you get what you pay for" applies, then the factory manual @ 51.00 sounds like the way to go.

Comment

I purchased a factory manual for my 650 thinking the factory book was the way to go. I found it to be a little short on procedures and bought the Seloc manual, much more user friendly in my opinion. Check eBay for the book, I got my Seloc manual used but in great condition for $16.00 Mike

Comment

I have a Seloc manual right now and its a bit annoying - they cover so many engines that it's hard to pick through it, ignoring one sentence and paying very close attention to the details of another, etc. Also for the procedure that I bought the book for (originally) it was wrong. I need to remove the lower unit and get at the water pump. They described the nuts to remove and did not cover the configuration I am looking at. This makes me lose confidence in the rest of the book ever being 100% right. ON THE OTHER HAND the Seloc manual is very wordy and I tend to like that as I need a lot of handholding with this type stuff. Sorry, I havent seen a Clymers outboard manual to compare it to.I have a 'real' manual on the way from Mercury (if you need the number for them, let me know, they are really hard to reach but very nice once you do) so I can compare it when it arrives. What was said above is probably true- I have a factory manual and a Clymer's manual for my Yamaha ATV. The factory manual is sparse and is probably written for mechanics who already know what they are doing. The Clymers is written for the neophyte or the shadetree mechanic at worst (which is just my speed). However I would trust any specs (torque specs, assembly/disassembly steps, measurements, tolerances, etc...) in the Yamaha manual more than in the Clymers. But maybe that's not warranted...mistakes can be in either book I guess.

Comment

I have a Clymer for my Merc and they also try to cover too many HP motors in one book.Some diagrams are a bit unclear, like the shift lever alignment and refer to chemicals that are probably available in USA but not elswhere like "Perfect seal" and "Quicksilver" brands.

Comment

Yes - the Clymer and Seloc are based on the factory manuals. Explanatory text added, pictures more like 'photocopy-quality' and rather general. If you have the budget, both books on the shelf will give you 'the little extra' when you look for details.

Comment

Seloc, Found it to be ok the way they lead you through everthing. Just need to make sure you are looking at the right year horsepower model.

Comment

I have compared some of the manuals. Although I do like Clymer, Seloc has some new features that tell you how difficult a certain procedure will be. Everything is labeled so that you know if a newbie can do it or if you have to be a wrench who's been around the block.Think about it...you don't want to get half way through taking something apart and then realize that it's going to be rather tough. Best to know ahead of time what to expect.Again, I do like the Clymer's but I think Seloc has the edge most of the time.- bayman

Comment

get both if u can afford it.... aftermarket isa lil simpler to read and explains more, factoryhas more techincal info, blow-ups etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X