Impeller change in 25 hp Mercury

Tom H. Smith

Cadet
New to board and boating. Thanks in advance. Have a 1993 25 Merc eletric start and am changing impeller. Four lower unit bolts disconnected. Where do I disconnect the gear linkage shifter in order to drop the lower unit? Is there a nut to loosen or bolt to take out or what? :rolleyes: Should the motor be in gear or neutral while doing this? Any other tips? Thanks much.

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impeller change in 25 hp Mercury

Hey Tom, I just moved here from Memphis. I'll be there this weekend. Mabye I could come by and help? Its not that big a job.<br /><br />Suzuki40

Tom H. Smith

Cadet

Thanks very much. We lived in NLR for 15 years and spent some time in HS Village and Lake Ouachita. Beautiful country for sure. <br /><br />My neighbor is a FedEx electrician and he is giving me a hand with the impeller change. If we can't figure it out, I may well contact you again. Our primary question is how to disconnect the gear linkage shifter. There is a 1 inch rubber boot on the side of the motor next to the linkage. When we take that out we can see a square bolt inside. Do you know if by loosening that bolt, the linkage is disconnected? Thanks again.

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

This 25 merc is an easy fix with a manual. If you don't have one, get one and it will guide you through step by step. Good luck.<br />CU

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You will need to disconnect the battery and remove the starter then you will see a little black or sometimes blue cleviis pin at the top of the shift shaft.That pin unsnaps from around the bulbous portion of that clevis and just pulls out.Carefull now as there is a washer in the mix to operate the reverse lock.The soap opera continues.

ehenry

Commander

What Hondon said!! ! !! I didn't keep up with mine washer and my throttle and linkage got all out of adjustment. Cost me a few coins to get it all back in workin order.