Value of Mercury 45 HP (circa 1962)

KelseyK

Seaman
I am considering purchasing this engine. The compression was 120 on all cylinders and it started up with no problem after sitting for about a year. It seems to be well taken care of.<br />It is a 2 stroke, 4cylinder engine.<br /><br />The owner is asking about $700.00 CDN. Is that to much given the year of engine?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Value of Mercury 45 HP (circa 1962)

Hi BR,<br /> That works out to about $500 (US) which sounds a little in the high side, but not bad. There's still a lot of parts available for your motor and they do run well when set up correctly. If it's clean, comes with a tank or two, a good set of controls and a decent prop, then the deal starts to sound a little better. I've seen them go for more on eBay and I've bought them for less at swap meets.<br /> Some things to keep in mind... If you're expecting a turn-key motor for years to come, look elsewhere. If you're handy, don't mind tinkering with your motor occasionally and it fits your needs, go for it. They're a solid design that was built for many years. The primary weaknesses are in the lower unit, due to the steel used in the shafts which are prone to rusting and allowing water to enter the housing at the sealing areas. There are fixes for it if yours has pitted sealing surfaces. You may have to track down or fabricate some tools to properly disassemble the unit should it need work.<br />- Scott