50 h.p. mariner water pump gone????

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a used 1989 50 h.p. Mariner, Got in the water barrel today everything runs great except no water pumping out the tell-tale. opened up the waterpump housing and all there was, was a rubber ring that used to be the impeller??? Where and what happened to the pieces and what do I have to look for if this is a problem? Im working on this thing right now please help....<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Suzuki40

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50 h.p. mariner water pump gone????

Thanks Unicorn,<br />I know what needs to be done in changing an impeller. I just have never seen it tore up like this before? It was completely gone! Im about to put a new one in now just wanted to see what the dangers were to lookout for after something happened like that. Thanks for the info.<br /><br />Suzuki40

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Depends how long it was run with no water.<br />Did it start to get hot and slow down or did you catch it before it started to heat up.<br />There has to be some pieces somewhere.. The real small ones would have just gone through the system, but there could be some in the head. You need to make sure they are out, or they will block the pee hole, and go through the new impeller and cause damage.You should do a compression test to see if there is any damage to head or cylinders if it did overheat.

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

everything is done now...I blew everything out the best I could. I dont know how long it was run with a bad waterpump because I just bought the motor. I ran it with the muffs for 20 seconds when I first bought it till I noticed there was no tell-tale. I ran it for about 5 minutes with the muffs after fixing it and it pumped water very strong. I'll be taking it on the lake tonight to see how it is on the water. thanks for your help Unicorn.<br /><br />Suzuki40

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, I forgot about compression...It was 120, 118, 120, 120. That should be good? it runs great, easy starting.<br /><br />Suzuki40

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like ya got it all in hand.<br />That Compression is very good and consistant.<br />Good luck on the water. :D

deckhandsmokey

Recruit

i have the same problem i could not find pictures in the links you posted can you send me the pics please thankyou

gjeka02

Cadet

I am having trouble removing the water pump base from my Mariner 50. It rocks up about 1/16" and then rocks back when i try to pry it off. Any suggestions? Thanks