40hp mercury outboard shifting problem

VTP54

Cadet
Took boat out for first time.shift controls felt fine.Had reverse and forward at first.then accelerated to plane out.After about 100yds came out of gear and engine flared up.Still had reverse but clicking sound in lower unit like gears not engaged properly in forward.Boat would pull a little but disengage with any rpm. Cables and levers seem to be moving properly. Any Idea?<br />P.S Motor is an 1978 year model

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 40hp mercury outboard shifting problem

Disconnect the shift cable at the motor and shift by hand and see if you can get it to fully engage. In forward, propeller will ratchet when spun clockwise and will lock when spun counter-clockwise. If it does this, adjust the cable accordingly...<br />- Scott

VTP54

Cadet

Made adjustments to shift cables as informed.In reverse the prop locks in both directions. In forward it ratchets clockwise and locks counterclockwise. Is this the way it is supposed to work ?

cusoak

Seaman

Do these instructions on the adjustment of shife cables apply to a 1963 Merc 45 hp.
Checked my motor that I bought and with shifting the lever on the motor the prop locks in both directions.
Shifting it to the other it only locks it 1 direction and spins freely in the other. Is this right?

I have another question.
I am building a boat and am looking to find out how much of the motor is supposed to be below the bottom of the boat
thanks Jeff

CrossCurrent50

Seaman Apprentice

The adjustments are the same Rev locks both ways neutral spins free both ways and fowards locks one way and ratchets in the other direction. The cavitation plate where the LU meets the midsection should be even with the bottom of the boat.

cusoak

Seaman

Thanks for all your help. I alway get a quick responce to a post.
Is there a way of being notified of a responce to a post.
Thanks Jeff

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Starting a new thread will help...this one is 10 years old.