Mercury 650cc 1970 Shift linkage help... I don't know which ones which

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have to adjust the shift linkage towards my boat 3 or 4 turns so it crunches into reverse properly as now its just making crunching sounds..<br /><br />I twirled the top cable 3 or 4 times towards the boat.. But i don't know if i have to twirl the bottom one.. The top one which i twirled moves the distributor.. The one at the bottom seems to be bolted onto the shaft and moves something inside.. If i have to twirl the bottom one a couple of times to the boat how would i remove the bottom cable so i can take it out as i seem to be having trouble.. Can someone give me the exact procedure<br /><br />Thanks again

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 650cc 1970 Shift linkage help... I don't know which ones which

Hi Y2j first your motor is not 650cc it is a 65hp.<br />The top cable is the throttle cable which controls the carbs & the ignition advance it will not make any diffference to your gearshift problems.The botttom cable is the gearshift cable if you follow it to the end there will be an 11mm nut which you can undo to remove the cable & adjust the barrel but before you mess with anything else get a manual they are essential to get things right.good luck :)

g, day y2j<br /> I'm with sharkcat on this one Get a manual than you will know ;) <br />cheers Daryl

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

but the engine capacity is 650cc<br /><br />even says it on the cowl :D and on my registration

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He told me this before.. He said the gear will click in easier on land then inwater with the pressure of turning the water.. and he said to try it out and if it crunches to give it 3-4 turns.. My reverse worked before its just he had to change this cable because the casing cracked :(

g,day again <br /> the size of yours is 62.4 cubic inch :eek: (don't know the cc :confused: )<br /><br />cheers Daryl

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have a mercury 650 redband in line 4 cylinder .The top cable is the throttle cable if you wind the barrel to far towards the boat you will bind up the linkage & it will be more dificult to get into gear.You should be able to get a piece of paper between the throttle arm & the stop screw & remove it without tearing the paper.As I said before the bottom cable is the gear cable there is an 11mm nut that you undo from the gearslide then adjust the barrel on the cable if its not going into reverse wind the barrel towards the boat.Get a manual libraries have them.If you dont get a manual & use it you will probably create more problems than you will solve. :rolleyes:

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks mate.. If anything screws up he willy fix it kindly hes a good bloke he doesn't like doing screwy jobs. But the reason i don't want to take it there is because its an hour and half drive away and i don't want to tow it that far.<br /><br />So i rather try myself and if lucky WOOHOO :D if not ill go for the ride..<br /><br />I gotta save a bit for a manual.. Cheapest decent one i found was about $100-$130

echozulu

Seaman

hey guys if you disconnect the shift cable, tie up to the dock, crank engine dead idle, manually shift into fwd shift control to forward adjust cable to engine no problem but it sounds like your using those awful cable adaptors because mercury cables dont have stopnuts also you didnt mention if you had dual stations that model also had a reverse lock cam in the driveshaft housing made of plastic which when buggered up would cause all kinds of headaches they easy to change when you replace the impeller good luck bro

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im sure you will be able to get a manual cheaper than that try secondhand bookshops.Im going to the library this weekend ill see if they have a manual for your engine.If they do Ill borrow it & scan & email the relevant pages to you if you post your email address.I used to own a 1971 650 merc that taught me alot about old engines & their problems.But I had a lot of fun making it work properly :cool:

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well as it turns out when i looked at it.. It wasn't shifting all the wa only half way of the length when going into reverse.. So i unhooked it and gave it a couple of whirls and i tried to put it back on but i can't because the shifter underneath keeps springing down and i can't get the screw high enough through the cables end hole to get the nut on it to at least tighten it.<br /><br />Any tricks to making it easier. I tried the screwdriver to push it up from the side while my dad tried to stick it on but it was getting dark and our tummys were rumbling so we gave up for hte night<br /><br />Thanks guys ;) <br /><br />Btw my emails holden@igreen.net and thanks mate for looking at the library i went to liverpool and they ordered the manual for me to but it could take a possible 2-3 weeks to get it to me from the Country's Main library full of archives<br /><br />Thanks for helping a teen

RICKRICK1

Ensign

y2j--just below the cable is the bottom cowling, it should several small holes for drainage. Use a ice pick and go thru one of the holes from the bottom. On my 67 650 there is one hole almost right underneath where you need to push up on the shift linkage. <br />hope this helps.

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Basically I got it and adjusted it as much as i could without loseing Neutral towards the boat..<br /><br />Well theres good news that I found another saga with the troubles i have been having<br /><br />I have realised when i shift the boat in reverse and i go to turn the propellar by hand it moves both ways and does not make any clicking sounds like if it were in gear. I can move it forward, back whatever and it just keeps spinning freely. when i put it in neutral there is the slighest clicking sound you can hardly hear it but thats normal as i have heard it in my other now sold boats. <br /><br />When i put it in forward i can clearly hear it is in gear<br /><br />But overall when in reverse no sound at all is heard as if it where spinning on a free axis<br /><br />I have got no clue :(

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

bump