Mercury Won't Turn Over (just beeps)

Xor

Recruit
I just got a used 1993 VIP Deckliner (22 ft.) with an outboard Mercury 150hp engine. The engine is newer than the boat but I'm not sure what year.<br /><br />We took it out today for the first time since rebuilding it and fixing it up and it ran great for about an hour. Then we pulled into a little cove and shut off the engine for a while and enjoyed some sunshine. When I went to turn the engine back on, it sounded three high-pitched beeps and nothing else. It would not even try to turn over. <br /><br />It is a brand new battery and the engine was just tested at the shop. When I started it the first time, it gave no problems at all. Any suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate this problem? And if it happens next time I'm out on the water, is there anythin I can do to get the engine started to get the boat back to the ramp?<br /><br />Thanks for any help.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury Won't Turn Over (just beeps)

The first thing to check, particulary since it's a new battery - are the battery cables tight? - very tight? In addition, if you have wing nuts on the battery posts, they probably should be replaced with lock nuts. Make sure all your other connections are tight also. ;)

Yep check those and also check your starter soleniod. But those beeps ussally mean something like low oil, overheating, though I'm not sure for that motor. If you can get a owners manual from Merc. it should help ya out with what all the diffrent beeps mean.

Xor

Recruit

Yes, I've read that intermittent beeping indicates low oil (and a constant beep means overheating) but I thought that the engine would still start even with the beeping. <br /><br />That's what was confusing me. The fact that it wouldn't turn over. Maybe, however, there are two problems I guess... the beeping is one and the not starting is the other... just a big coincidence?<br /><br />Since it is the first time I've ever taken the boat on the water, I could understand something (like the battery cables) loosening up. It just really seemed like the beeping was an indicator of the starting problem. And the beeps were so loud and strong that it seemed like there was plenty of juice flowing through the system.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

The beeper has a very low amp demand while the starter's is very high. Might have plenty of juice for the alarm to self-test, but not enough to crank the engine.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

The system even has a start-in-gear prevention switch to ensure that it is started in neutral only.<br /><br />I take it you had the lever en neutral, so check the swith to see if works properly.<br /><br />If the switch thinks you have engaged the gear it will allow power to all circuits (beep etc.) but will not allow power to the starter motor.

Stu2012

Recruit

Hi, how did you go with this? My Merc is doing the same thing. I have checked the wiring, all good, New battery, tight terminals, has oil, checked that it was not stuck in gear, it's in neutral. was going fine, never had any trouble starting it, but all of a sudden, out of the blue, turned the key, one high pitched beep, and nothing....????? My Merc is a 1988 70HP 3 Cyl....