Inexpensive tachonometer suitable for a 1956 Mercury Mark 55E?

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there an inexpensive tachonometer somewhere that I could mount in or under the dash of my boat, for a 1956 Mercury Mark 55E? Thanks

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Inexpensive tachonometer suitable for a 1956 Mercury Mark 55E?

'mornin' John,<br /><br />go to the web and do a search for "tinytach" or "tiny-tach" or something like that. TinyTach is a digital tach that is inductivly coupled to a plug wire. you wrap the "lead" around a plug wire and you're all set. one draw back. its a molded device with a non-replacable battery. two styles available (if i remember correclty), one is just a tach, the other is a tach with an "hour" meter.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks; I'll consider the Tiny-Tach if I can't find one that looks a bit more original. I'd rather get a D'Arsonval movement meter (needle).

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Remember Tiny tachs are throw away tachs good for only 5 years non-repalceable battery and they aren't any cheaper than true tachs on certain applacations, like 3 cylinders acually thy cost more!<br />steve

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK Thanks stinky. If I di end up getting a Tiny-Tach, and when the battery dies, I'll be using a dremel tool to open the thing up to replace the battery.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi John, I think its potted so you would need to find a battery that would fit the cavity of the potted battery!<br />steve

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lithium cells come in a wide variety of sizes. The challenge will be if the entire unit was poured with hard epoxy. That would require a lot of careful cutting and grinding, sort of what a fossil-cleaner would have to do.