2001 Mercury 50 FUSE BLOWS

Donnna

Recruit
donnna@ptd.net <br />I have the above engine on a 2001 Godfrey Pontoon boat. Sometimes the fuse on the engine blows and I have tried to distinguish what I was doing at the time the fuse blows, but it's different each time. When the engine is running and the fuse blows, all the control panel indicators go dead but the engine will keep running until I shut it off, then it doesn't restart until I replace the fuse on the top of the engine. <br />If there is anybody that could give me something to look at, I would appreciate it. The marina says if it's not doing it all the time, they have nothing to go on. I have checked the battery connections and also the wiring in the conrol panel to see if there is a pinched wire somewhere.

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 Mercury 50 FUSE BLOWS

is this a 50 2 stoke or 4 stroke, serial # will help

Donnna

Recruit

I really don't know if it's a 2 stroke or 4 stroke (where would I find that out)<br />The number is: 1050412YD OT375954<br />Not sure which is the serial or maybe one of the numbers is the VIN.<br /><br />If you want to email me directly, that would be great too and probably faster. Whichever is convenient to you and I sooooooooo much appreciate any help you can give.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> donnna@ptd.net

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Youe engine is a two stroke. Is the fuse blowing when you press the trim switch? <br />Not able to e-mail you directly.

Donnna

Recruit

I have heard that maybe the trim switch could be the problem - I have tried the trim switch and it didn't blow at the exact times I tried the trim. The most recent time it blew was yesterday evening when I had backed out of my slip and had turned to go to the other side of the lake and I was going fairly slow and didn't get over 50 yards and lucky enough, I got back in the slip and replaced the fuse. I then went back out and tried it slowly again and even fast and nothing blew that time. donnna@ptd.net

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I doubt is soemthing on the engine that is causeing the fuse to blow. You probably have a key switch harness short or maybe bad trim switch. The problem is that it is very intermittent and finding the short is hard. Is your key switch in the control box or dash mounted?

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess your only option is wait till the problem happens more often, which could leave you stranded out on the lake, or you could replace the key harness and trim switch and hope that takes care of the problem.

Donnna

Recruit

Thanks so much for your input on my fuse problem. I will do as you suggested, since there are no other remedies at hand. <br /><br />Thanks again!<br />Donna

clanton

Rear Admiral

Depending on the fuse type, you can buy an automatic circuit breaker that will replace the fuse. The breaker will keep enough power in the circuit to make heat, use a point and shoot temp checker, check all wires, when you find the short, the temp in that area will be higher.