WHAT'S A GOOD BATTERY TO BUY FOR MY OUTBOARD?

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HI,<br /><br />I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MARINE BATTERIES. I HAVE A 1976 MERCURY OUTBOARD 1150 115HP ENGINE. I NEED A BATTERY FOR IT. WHAT IS A GOOD BRAND OF BATTERY TO BUY? I ALSO HAVE A KILLER STEREO IN THE BOAT AS WELL. I SHOULD TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION AS WELL, SINCE I'LL BE ROCKIN' OUT MOST OF THE TIME. HOW DOES ONE DETERMINE WHAT KIND OF BATTERY TO BUY? THANKS FOR THE HELP!<br /><br />MERC

profish

Seaman Apprentice
Re: WHAT'S A GOOD BATTERY TO BUY FOR MY OUTBOARD?

Get two of the most expencive one,s the have,One a marine starting and the other a marine deep cycle.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Most batteries are made by only three companies regardless of the lable. Try WalMart.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Brianmerc<br /><br />Im in Australia, but I've been advisd to use a marine battery as opposed to car or truck 9 or 11 plate.<br />Reason being, they are more resistant to sitting around and not used, then charged up either by small charger or boat.<br />As far as brand name goes, yours would be different to ours, but they should conform to a USA standard and you get what you pay for in most cases.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

After a lot of trial and error over the years, I've pretty well settled into Sears for batteries for my boat and cars/trucks. Good service, performance and honoring of warranties. Just be sure you get a marine battery that can take the pounding of a boat.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

I have to agree with Jack.Sears Diehard marine(deep cycle) batteries are what i use.I bought a bad one a while back and had it replaced,no questions asked.Other than that,Interstate marine batteries.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Use a starting type battery for starting your motor. If you decide to, you could add the marine or heavy duty feature to it's definition.<br /><br />Generally a marine starting type can be had resonably priced. <br /><br />Save the deep cycle type for accessories.<br /><br />Don't expect the outboard motor to do much more charging than to keep your starting battery up. <br /><br />If you do add a deepcycle battery you would be best off charging it from a charger while on land.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would get one from Wallmart. If you use your boat all year around can even use a auto starting battery. If it sits for 6 month in the winter then get a marine battery or a dual use battery. I tried the Diehard batteries for a while and never had a battery exceed the warranty. I think they sell cheap 3 year battery with a 6 year warranty to force you to come back to them when it goes bad. Every where else a 5 year battery last 6 years and at a much better price.<br />For your radio use two D cells so I do not have to listen to your radio when you drive by me.

skeets

Seaman

Hi brainmerc<br />Search iboats <br />a lot of info on batteries.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Brian...<br />Just a couple of thoughts... Almost ALL batteries on the market for autos, boats, etc., are of the Lead-Acid variety, but there are two main types in use... Acid Starved, which are "sealed" with a minimal amount of acid stored in a medium, such as fiberglass matting, or in a gel, and Acid Submerged...<br /><br />Acid submerged are the one's we've all dealt with for many years... They require a watch on fluid (water) levels, to make sure the plates do not get exposed to air (oxygen) which will cause them to "oxidize", and become ineffective as battery plates.<br /><br />The Acid Starved batteries, are essentially sealed and come in two main types, "Gel-Cell", and "AGM".<br /><br />Marine batteries (both cranking AND deep-cycle for accessories) are designed for rugged (heavy vibration environments) use. In general, MOST auto batteries, with the exception of certian OEM's (such as select models of Jeeps, some HD Pick-up trucks, commercial equipment like tractors, etc.) do NOT have the plates well enough anchored to protect them from "shorting" against each other during extremes of vibration. (like boating)...<br /><br />Depending on how severe you vibration environment is (roughness of water, boat ride quality, battery mounting location, etc... all come into play here) you may want to look into the "acid starved" types of batteries, such as the Optima, and other brands of "spiral-wound" technology, and similar batteries. Several folks carry these types of batteries.<br /><br />Most folks call these "gel" batteries, but there are only a VERY few number of manufacturers of true gel cell batteries, and those gel-cells are not only VERY $pricey$. True Gel's are VERY sensitive to proper charge rates, thus typically NOT what an average boater would want to fool with, as the type of charger required to keep them under control is $$$ because it requires a temperature compensated voltage regulating circuitry.<br /><br />If these gel-cells get too little charge voltage, (usually under 13.4v), they simply will not charge, too much (typically over 14.4v), and even though they are sealed, they will "gas". When that happens, it's the same thing as letting the smoke out of your computer... Once the smoke is let out, they don't work too well...<br /><br />With all that said, THE best batteries are those that are fairly priced in your area, and fit the intended applicational environment. My personal favorites happen to be the "AGM" (Acid-Starved Glass Mat) batteries. These are ALSO "sealed-for-life" like the gel-cells, but are less sensitive to charging rates.<br /><br />There are a host of brands are out there and they ALL use nearly identical technology, so pick a dealer near you whom you can trust to help you when (NOT IF... WHEN...) you have a problem with one of them...<br /><br />Another neat thing about the AGM's is that they can be mounted in nearly ANY position, with almost no ill effects. But like ALL batteries, they will need to have at least some amount of ventilation fresh air, in the event you have a charging circuit problem that causes them to over-charge, as they will also gas, but are more tolerant of short-term charging voltage spokes that are the true gell-cells...<br /><br />Expect to pay any where from $85 -to- $150 (or perhaps a bit more for some sizes and brands) a piece for the AGM "spiral wound" type batteries, depending on size, and place purchased.<br /><br />Good Luck, Obiwan

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone! I decided to go with a Sears DieHard Marine Deep Cycle 27m. The warranty is pretty good, I think. 12 Months replacement.<br /><br />I didn't really mount my battery though. I just set it next to my gas tank on a flat piece of wood. That's where the old one used to sit, when I first bought the boat from my uncle. Is it safe to have the battery right next to the gas tank? I'm not sure if there is anywhere else I can put it. As for mounting, what is a good way to mount it??

flatsman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Better check with a merc expert due to the retifier voltage problem ---( maint. free ) battery problem.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brian,<br />Mounting batteries next to fuel tanks is no problem as long as there are NO fuel vapors (leaks), AND... you do NOT cause any sparks, especially when connecting or disconnecting the wiring if there is a fuel leak...<br /><br />Unfortunately, with ageing of the components you will most likely experience the presence of fuel vapors in the tank area. It's "OK" if the vapor level is not at "combustive levels", so if (or when) you do find vapors, vent the area as well as you can, before attempting to connect or disconnect battery wiring.<br /><br />As for mounting, for the sake of safety, you do not want the battery to go sliding around, and possibly short out in a severe maneuver (either when on the trailer, or in the water), If that happens, there will be LOTS of sparks. Thus, I would suggest that you secure it, to keep it from sliding around.<br /><br />Placing it in one of those "marine-type" plastic battery boxes, then lashing it down with the strap provided is sufficient, AND gives the added protection to keep some inadvertent thing (like anchors, etc) from shorting the battery terminals.<br /><br />Walmart, most ALL of the discount auto parts houses, and even Sears carry these battery boxes, for typically a few bucks... Darned Cheap insurance if you ask me...<br /><br />Good Luck, Obiwan...

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Aussie equivalent.<br /><br /> http://www.cyb.com.au/automotive/prod_info/marine.htm <br /><br />For that "Killer stereo" and 115hp I would think you made the right choice.<br />Just make sure, if you charge with a home charger, that it is one that recognizes the deep cycle, as I have heard that some chargers can be "tricked" into thinking the battery is charged when it is not.

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very good Info!! Thanks you guys!! It's Memorial Weekend and I am ready to rock n' roll on the water!!