Mercury paint color codes, or what is the formula???

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would anyone happen to have the auto paint codes for Mercury's "Sand Tan" and "Sunset Orange"? Robert Shapton the decal man a while back said that he would give me the codes, but now for some reason he won't reply to my queries.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury paint color codes, or what is the formula???

I can't do anything tonight but I'll give it a shot manana.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Hooty. Do you work at a boat shop or marina?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Naw but my best bud ownes a automotive paint store and I'll bet he has access to those mfg's codes.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Ask my bud today about "color codes" and we're not real sure what you're looking for. If you could explain, we may be able to help.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm working on restoring a 1956 Mercury Mark 55E. I'm ready for some painting now. There's a NAPA here that will custom mix paints. They'll even put it in an aerosol can. But I need to give them the code for the colors I need, which are "Sunset Orange" and "Sand Tan". I plan on doing lacquer.<br /><br />Hooty, BTW, I painted my carbs with that new Duplicolor MetalCast yellow that we were talking about a while back. I also painted some other parts under the cowl with Duplicolor MetalCast base coat. Looks pretty good. I'll need to post some pictures on the internet somewhere.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'm still not sure what you mean by codes. I could probably get a formula from PPG but it wouldn't mean anything to anybody else. The hot ticket is gonna be take them a color swatch and tell'um to match it.<br /><br />Do post some fotos of your engine. I'd like to see 'um.<br /><br />My 235 is still in pieces. I got the jackplate installed and then had to take the engine back off of it and move it up a notch, then had to fabricate a bracket for my left foot rest. Got all that done and now I'm gonna start re-jetting the carbs on my 200. But at this minute me and the boat are lake-ready.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooty, this is a copy of the text in an e-mail I received from Robert Shapton (sells outboard decals) several months ago when I was researching what all I needed for my motor restoring job:<br /><br />"I use automotive paint codes. Usually PPG Concept for lower unit parts, and DuPont Chromabase and clearcoat for the cowls. If you would rather use spray bombs, you can contact Grubbs Marine www.oldmercs.com. Otherwise I'll get those codes for you (their at the shop). The decals run $45 for the electric model, shipping is included.<br />Thanks,<br />Bob"<br /><br />But I guess now he doesn't want to let me have the codes he was talking about since being he won't respond to my e-mails. I don't kbow a lot about about mixing paint, but I know that you have to know what pigments to add and how much of each.