1999 Mercury 25hp starter problems

Hugeman

Cadet
I have a 1999 25 hp mercury with electric start. I bought this with a Lund boat last week and took it out this morning for my test run. Brand new 850 cranking amps/ deep cycle battery fully charged/ New spark plugs/ <br /> :confused: This morning it started fine with the key a few times, but the motor had not been run for 2 years and stalled out also. The electric start stopped working at this time. All we hear is a click. Lots of battery juice still. Kill switch is not off. Controls are in neutral. The Pull start still works (Thank God on a high wind day) I bought and looked in a Selog Manual and it says there is a 20A fuse?? I looked all over under the hood for fuses and could not find one. Is it near the starter? Are there any?<br />Any other suggestions for troublehooting? :(

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1999 Mercury 25hp starter problems

Welcome to iboats, HM.<br />Look for the solenoid. It will have a big red wire from the battery going to it, and a big red wire comming FROM it, going to the starter. a jump across those big posts with a battery jumper cable should start you up,along with throwing some sparks.. If it does, replace the solenoid.

Hugeman

Cadet

Well I did a multimeter test on what I hope was the solenoid?? Right beside the starter motor with a big red wire from the battery and a yellow wire to the bottom of the starter. I had a reading around 12.80 on the red wire but 0 on the yellow wire. Now if this is the solenoid I guess it is burned out. <br />I tried to jump it as you suggested, but got no results with the key in the on position. Does the key need to be turned by someone like rgular starting?? Or is it in the on position enough? Can i run a jumper straight form the battery to the yellow cable on the Solenoid and turn the key on myself then?

Hugeman

Cadet

I ran the jumper straight from the red post to the yellow post on the solenoid. Turned on the key and "click" is all I got. If this bypass did not work? Dose that mean the starter itself??

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

To clarify, I meant the two BIG posts...The one from the battery, to the one from the starter, at the solenoid. The smaller yellow wire on the solenoid is 12Volts from the ignition switch. It will only have 12 volts on it when the ignition key is turned to "start'.<br />when you run a jump from the big wire from the battery to it, it should click,which would indicate te solenoid is energizing, but here's the stinger.....It doesn't neccesarilly mean it is good. The internal contacts can be fried, which would not take the battery terminal, and contact the starter terminal.<br />to test them, use something beefy, like a battery jumper cable, or a wire the same thickness as the battery cable, and jump across the large terminal lugs (battery to starter lugs) on the solenoid.<br />If you get no starter, yes, your starter is bad, or the connections are not shiny clean underneath the terminal nuts.

Hugeman

Cadet

Okay, I ran a jumper and it did not turn the starter. I also ran a multimeter on the 12 volt connection on the bottom of the starter. It's getting 12.80 on the multimeter when the key is turned to start. I am thinking it's the starter that is not working here? Unless I am wrong of course!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes, I think you about narrowed it down. To confirm it's not a bad connection, take your jumper cable, and clip one end on the battery's + post, and the other end directly to the big post on the starter. Use care not to touch the case of the starter,or the frame of the motor anywhere. If nothing, remove and replace the starter.<br />And watch out for gas. Make sure there is no fuel anywhere near this operation,as sparks fly sometimes.

Hugeman

Cadet

Thanks for the help, it really helped.... I don't think there is room to get the booster cable to the starter post without touching anything else. It's tight in there. Anyways if the power was registering on the starter post with the multimeter it would be the same with the jumper connected directly...<br />Now to find a starter..or at least the money for one in town. <br />Funny thing is I'm wanting to sell this 1999 25 merc to put a 40 or 50 on as after my first test run with the new boat I'm feeling underpowered.<br />Again thanks