74 Merc 1150 wont start without Starting Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

okeyo

Cadet
The boat I recently purchased has a 74 merc. in-line 6. It won't start unless I shoot a little Starting fluid in the carbs. Once started, it runs OK. I can also shut it down, and it will restart. The boat sat for 2 years before i bought it, so would gummy carbs be the problem? The bulb does get firm after a couple squeezes.<br /><br />After purchase, I siphoned the fuel out of the tank and put in fresh fuel/oil, put in a new water separating filter, and also threw in a can of sea foam. <br /><br />Think I need to tear the carbs off and rebuild 'em?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 74 Merc 1150 wont start without Starting Fluid

Your choke isn't working or isn't being used correctly.<br /><br />Staring fluid is deadly to 2 stroke engines. Use fuel mix instead.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 74 Merc 1150 wont start without Starting Fluid

Are you using the choke properly? It's not a primer system where you punch the button a few times - the choke must be held in while starting a cold motor. Generally, once it fires you have to tease it a few more times until the motor has warmed up. The older inlines like LOTS of fuel on start up! Also, make sure the choke is operating properly and the choke butterflies are closing fully. Slop in the linkage on a 30-year old motor can allow the chokes to only be closing partway - not enough for a thirsty Merc.<br /><br />Rebuilding the carbs certainly would not be a bad thing and might help the starting issue.<br /><br />On a side note - if you can't get the problem solved - trade the starting fluid for a squirt bottle of pre-mix fuel. Starting fluid is bad news for outboards - it rinses lube from the bearings and cylinder walls...<br /><br />- Scott

michaelmcadams

Recruit
im having the same problem and using the same solution as far as starter fluid... will stop doing it and use premix... I saw a post about a auto primer installed does anybody know anything about that??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is over 15 years old. Please start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.