1960 Mercury model #?

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Hi,<br /><br /> I just bought a 1960 35HP mercury outboard that runs :) I want to find the model and serial #'s. Does anyone know where it is located?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Shane

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1960 Mercury model #?

I have the title for the motor and all it has on it is the Manufacturer's ID Number. It is: 1288837.<br /><br />Does anyone have any information about this motor?<br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br />shane

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer

I realize I haven't given anyone much of a chance to answer but here's what I have found out in case anyone is interested.<br /><br />The model number is: merc 300S<br />The serial number is: 1288837<br /><br />According to www.oldmercs.com that means it is Electric Starting, Short Shaft, without Alternator.<br /><br /> Can anyone verify this and does anyone know anything about these engines?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Shane

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Shane,<br /> Pretty much all of the 4-cylinder inline Mercs based on the 40/44 cubic inch blocks are about as bulletproof as you're likely to find. However, being that the motor is 40+ years old, a few things ought to be dealt with...<br /> First, get the manual for it - through oldmercs.com.<br /> Second, if the service history is unknown, replace the waterpump impeller, fuel pump diaphram, install some carb kits, clean the points, clean the distributor cap and rotor, replace the condenser, install some fresh Champion J6C plugs, replace the timing belt, oil the starter bendix and grease the recoil starter pawls. Probably a few other things you can do, too, but that should get you started if you're planning on using the motor much. It may sound like a lot, but a lot of it is just little routine maintenance type stuff...<br />- Scott

smizdiz

Recruit
What Year and Value

What Year and Value

I have a rickheafer mercury super 5hp with serial # 426237. I would like to know the year made and is it a collector item